Chapter 05

If he hadn't been so drunk, Carlos would have asked a million questions about why TK was suddenly so eager to confront Donovan. But TK was thankful that his boyfriend was knocked out by the alcohol as soon as he began to tell him, in broad strokes, what had happened.

He dragged him to bed. Luckily he didn't have to carry him, although he would have done it without a problem. He sat beside him and stroked his hair until he found that Carlos was sleeping soundly, snoring even.

He smiled; at least Donovan's presence in his life wasn't keeping Carlos awake yet. Just Carlos, though, because the truth was that TK was not going to be able to sleep a wink as long as he knew that bastard was in their lives and could continue hurting his boyfriend in some way.

He knew he couldn't do much, he couldn't talk to the police because right now there was nothing to report, and he couldn't talk about the past because Carlos didn't want anyone to know what had happened.

He picked up the phone and wondered if there was anyone he could call, anyone he could talk to about it and get advice on what to do. In the end he could only think of one person who might have known what had happened with Donovan and had stood by Carlos to support him.

"Hello?"

It was the first time he had called Michelle and it was strange to do so when she was away. Of course, the paramedic wasn't expecting his call.

"Hello, Michelle. This is TK, TK Strand, do you remember me?"

"Oh, TK, of course I do. We didn't have much of a chance to get to know each other well, but Carlos was catching me up, how's everything going? Although, if you're calling me... Is Carlos okay?"

"I know how it sounds, because I've never called you before. Carlos is fine... Well, sort of. He's not having an easy time and that's why I'm calling you. I need advice."

TK went over to the couch to be as far away from his boyfriend as possible so he could sleep. He made himself a coffee, he needed to be awake after a very long shift and a sleepless night after Donovan's visit.

"Okay, shoot. By the way, I heard about the fire at Carlos's house and some coworkers told me about the ice. Are you guys okay?"

"Yeah, we must have a guardian angel who loves us very much, but we're fine. Did Carlos ever tell you about a guy named Donovan?"

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the phone, but TK could hear Michelle's breathing. The communication hadn't been cut off.

"Donovan...I was hoping I'd never hear that name again and I'm guessing you're not calling me because you found a picture among Carlos's things."

"No, Donovan is here. We ran into him the other day and it was...it was like a bomb blew up Carlos's life. Ever since he saw him...something has snapped inside him, Michelle. He almost got hit by a car just because he ran into him, alone. He's told me things, but I know he hasn't told me everything and it scares me."

"TK, do everything you can to keep Carlos away from that bastard, and you too, stay away. He's an ego vortex, he wants it all, and when he becomes obsessed with someone... I'm still amazed that Carlos made it out of that relationship without physical harm. I guess Donovan was intimidated by Carlos being a cop."

As he listened to that, TK was noticing his heart racing with fear. That was just what he had imagined when he had Donovan in front of him. He had noticed it in his eyes, in how he was looking at him. He was fixating on him, there was desire in his gaze and when he had laid his hand on him, he had noticed an almost negative electricity.

"It's a little late for that now, Michelle."

"TK, I'm serious, Donovan is a very dangerous guy, because he knows how to hurt without leaving wounds. He knows how to control without leaving a mark, he knows how to make anyone small, even Carlos. He destroys everything in his path. Has he come near you?"

How to survive the thunderOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara