Chapter 14

The bar was half empty. Carlos looked at the time, it was getting late and he was beginning to think that Donovan would not show up. Maybe he was smarter than he had expected, maybe he was a few steps ahead of him and he was aware of the plan they had and they had failed to bring him down.

TK: Babe, I don't like this, have I told you yet? Come home, we'll do this another way.

He smiled. He hated worrying TK, but at the same time he found it charming how much he cared about him, even when he was on leave and spent the day from bed to couch, all day listening to Enzo trying to fix their situation and keep Donovan from beating them to the punch.

Carlos: Calm down, my love. Everything is fine. Two of my father's cars are incognito out here. If anything happens, they'll come in to give me a hand.

TK: Let me know when you leave, so I can be calm.

Carlos: I'll call you in a while.

TK: Promise me, please.

Carlos: I promise I'll let you know when I get out.

He put the phone away, the last thing he wanted was to put TK in danger again.

The door to the place opened and two girls came in laughing as they made a video call with a third person. Carlos finished drinking the beer in front of him and ordered one more, otherwise he would run out before carrying out the plan.

Again, the door of the place rang. This time it was Donovan, who smiled at him and waved his hand affectionately, as if he was still his partner, as if time had not passed.

He approached him, sat down next to him and patted him on the back which then turned into a kind of caress for which Carlos was not prepared and had to make a great effort not to pull away and tell his ex to take his hand off him.

"You don't know how glad I am to see you in a calm circumstance like this, what are you drinking? Let me buy you another."

"I just started this beer, it'll take me a while to order another."

"Well, we've got time and plenty to talk about. The next one's on me, or if you want we can go to dinner."

Carlos murdered his ex with his eyes, but he knew him better than anyone. He knew he was too good at provoking people and provoking him, after all that had happened was the easiest thing in the world.

He wasn't about to fall into the trap, so he bit his cheek to keep from answering.

"Let's cut to the chase, Don. I know what you want to remove the complaint about TK. But I want you to tell me by looking me in the eye. I want to see if you're able to look me in the eye and tell me what you want me to do to leave us alone."

Donovan reached over and patted Carlos' arm, reached down to his hand and reached around it to take the glass of beer from him and give him a drink.

"Baby. You know how much I love telling you this kind of stuff." He leaned a little closer to whisper in his ear. "I want to have you for a whole night to myself...alone and all to myself. I want you to remember how much you miss me. If in the morning you're not asking to get back together, I'll leave you and your drug addicted, troubled boyfriend alone."

Carlos shuddered, he knew very well what could happen that night and things would not go well if he agreed to spend the night with him, but they would be much worse if he refused and made him angry.

"Stop talking about TK."

"That's right, tonight it's just you and me and you." Again Donovan's hand ran down hisback and he rested his head on his shoulder. "First have dinner with me, we catch up on the news of the last few years."