Chapter 08

Carlos was on edge, his phone on him all day waiting for a call or message from TK... Or maybe he preferred not to know anything because that would mean that nothing was happening. No call meant that Donovan hadn't shown up in front of TK, his boyfriend who thought he was the superhero capable of putting in jail the villain who was making his life impossible.

That was the word for what he thought of TK's plan to keep Donovan from continuing to bother him—it was impossible. Carlos knew that, somehow, it was going to fail and he had it in the back of his mind that it could go wrong and Donovan would either laugh at them, or it would go worse and someone like Donovan was capable of really hurting them.

He knew he wouldn't be able to bear the thought of his ex hurting TK, let alone doing it to protect him.

But there he was, worried because he hadn't stood his ground and told TK not to do anything, not to go near Donovan, not to get in his way. If it were him, he would tell him to run the other way.

Carlos knew telling him that would make TK laugh. He wouldn't take it seriously, not because he didn't love him, not because he thought it was something to worry about. But TK had that virtue that could sometimes be considered a flaw, of wanting to care for and protect everyone he loved.

When no message came, he was the one who texted his boyfriend.

Carlos: Hey baby, how's the day going? Do you think you'll make it in time for dinner?

TK: Boring is good isn't it? Nothing has happened and I'm afraid it will happen at the last minute. But I'm crossing my fingers that it's all just as boring and we can have dinner together.

Carlos: Thank god.

TK: I know you. You want to tell me something.

Carlos: You know me. Do you know what I'm going to ask you?

TK: There's been no sign of Donovan. Maybe after everything he got tired of you and not being able to get his hands on me.

A laughing emoji followed, but the last thing Carlos wanted to do when he imagined Donovan near TK was to laugh.

Carlos: Tiger...

TK: I know, I'm sorry. Donovan is a bastard and I want him to leave you alone, to leave us alone. If he disappears because he fell down a manhole this morning, that's fine with me.

Carlos: You're not serious.

TK: No, I don't want him to die. But I want him away from you and you know I'll do whatever it takes to protect you.

And that's what scares me the most, Carlos thought, but he didn't write it down.

Carlos: I know, and I know you too. Don't do anything stupid.

TK: I'm at work, what could I do?

Carlos replied with the emoji that meant: "I said I know you, TK, I know you and I know what you can do."

TK: We got a call, talk to you later. I love you.

Carlos: I love you.

Luckily for both of them, the day passed quickly and TK's shift at the firehouse came to an end without any major problems. He sent a quick message to Carlos. "I'm changing and heading home."

He was in a good mood, he always was when he thought about going home to Carlos. Especially when they had a chance to have a night to themselves, to sit on the couch, watch some movie, order dinner and just be together.

He was sending a new message to Carlos, TK knew he worried about himself, but mostly about him. He had put too much pressure on him with the anger Donovan's presence in their lives had left him with.