65 ∞ Thermal Anomaly

Start from the beginning

"I accept the Mission," rang with thunder in her mind. Then another, from a different time and place, "Yes, we do, Canaisis. And I couldn't do it without you."

The words gave her strength, and she fought her Gift and won. The outside world returned to her, and she opened her eyes to look down at her hurting hand. Lina was gripping it hard with both hands, a tear running down her cheek.

"Don't scare me like that, Ayla." Lina shook her hand once in emphasis and softened her grip. "I'm sorry I pushed you."

"Oh, Lina," said Ayla with pain and sorrow, "we owe him everything, him and Canaisis."

"You mean the Captain?" interjected Ahmid's voice.

Ayla looked around to see him standing by the door, observing her. She nodded in response as he entered the room, then wondered why Lina was tickling her fingertips. They both looked down at her hand to see the butterfly had landed on her fingers, the gold and blue shimmering with each flutter of its wings.

Ayla couldn't help but smile at the beautiful display. «I remember you as well, Canaisis. You spoke to me in the Memory.»

«I'm glad that you remember, Ayla. This is a good sign, but you need rest.»

Ayla nodded again, the weight of sleep overwhelming her. She gave Lina's hand a thankful squeeze before extracting herself to close the box and return it to Lina. The butterfly flew a few loops and settled on the edge of Ayla's pillow as she settled herself into the bed. Lina continued to watch her with concern.

"I'll be fine, Lina. I just need to rest."

Lina nodded and stood up. "I'll be right here, Ayla. Are you hungry? It's after midnight now, but I can get you a snack before you sleep."

Ayla shook her head, her eyelids growing heavy.

"Then close your eyes and get some rest." Lina sat down in the chair, looking straight at Ahmid.

Ahmid got the hint and nodded in understanding. He gave Ayla a little smile. "Rest well, Ayla. Everyone sends their love." Then he quietly left the room.

Lina lowered the lighting until the room lost its color, and squirmed in her chair to get more comfortable. Her thoughts turned to the sensations she'd picked up, the ones she'd learned to mean Ayla was talking to the ship. She wished she knew the significance of this development. Did it portend good or bad? She would have to be content with her sister's return to them and accept these new changes in her.

But now she has the voice of an A.I. in her mind, the skeptical side of Lina pointed out. Can any good come from this?

The only reference point of comparison Lina had was the Captain himself. He was the only other person she'd ever met or knew of who was linked to an A.I., yet he felt True and Sincere to her perceptions.

But could an A.I. deceive her sensitivity? Lina didn't know the answer.

Beside her, Ayla breathed heavier as sleep took over. And her Gift rose up unbidden—she dreamed of a time from before the Great War...

Ignoring the amplified sounds of his breathing within the helmet, Captain Gareth Levant made his way across Canaisis' hull—preferring to walk, as he always had since the beginning days of his Captaincy. Walking out here upon her skin, he could take in the solitude and peace of the stars.

Out here, between solar systems, the stars were beautiful. Directly ahead of Canaisis, the 'sky' was a point of black nothing. Then blue streaks radiated out from that point, turning into blue stars, fading to white diamonds. And behind him, the diamonds faded to red points of light, then finally red streaks into the black point of nothing again.