Of Mountain Men and Gods

Loki rose from the balcony and lowered himself down in front of the collection of men.  Soliana grabbed Haldir.

"Don't let him go alone!" she cried as Haldir turned summoning the guard and ran out after Loki.  Rera ran into the royal chamber and held on to Soliana.

The men stood silent looking at Loki. They were tall and dark skinned with hooded eyes that seemed to emit malice, but Loki stood before them showing no fear. He heard Haldir and his men running up behind him, but Loki simply raised his hand and stopped them.

"Your Majesty." He heard Haldir's plea.

"They simply wish to meet their King.  It is their right." Said Loki.

"You are no King to us. We recognize no king." Said the obvious leader of the group.

"Are you not citizens of Númenor?" asked Loki.

"We may live on Númenor, but we are not citizens.  We are forced to live in the mountains, to forage for scraps, we have no say over politics, we have no representation. We are held accountable for the actions of those who have passed long before us." The man growled back.

Loki felt a personal pain with what the man had said, thinking of his own people back on Jotunheim.

"What can I provide to you, for I see you as citizens and my subjects? I hold none of any territory as greater than the other.  I recognize each individual for who they are and not what their ancestors may have done."

"Pretty words from a pretty king." Sneered the man as he fingered the blade at his hip. An action not unnoticed by Loki or Haldir.

"You have my attention, Sir. Speak to the needs of your people."

The mountain men looked among themselves. Loki was obviously not what they expected.

"These are not just empty words you speak, Asgardian?" Said the man stepping extremely close to Loki who stood his ground. The man's musty hot breath was causing Loki's eyes to water, but he knew he could not move.

"I always say what I mean."

"Amusing, coming from the God of Mischief and Lies, as the All Father proclaimed you. I do not trust a thing you say."

"I simply ask for a chance to prove myself to you."

"Why do you care what we think? Why do you care at all? You live in the mighty palace, surrounded by the greatest military in all the realms.  We are no threat to you.  Disregard us as your predecessors have done."

"I am not my predecessors." Said Loki firmly. "Yes, the All Father proclaimed me the God of Mischief and Lies but it is not the man that I am.  No, I was not born on Númenor, but I know what it feels like to be discarded. I know what it feels like to be in the shadow of another. I know what its like to be held responsible for what you held no part of. I am like you, save I wear a crown. But I am not wearing one now and I come to you as a man and ask humbly for you to recognize me as your king and accept my promise that I will never look down on you and will see you as I see all my subjects on Númenor, equally.  I am your servant, Sir."

Loki bowed his head.  Others in the village had begun to emerge from their doors to see what was happening. The leader of the mountain men looked at Loki long and hard and then fell to one knee.  The other men with him followed suit.  The other villagers also fell to their knees.  Haldir's soldiers also bent their knees soon followed by Haldir.

Loki was stunned by this response. "Rise, my friend, what are you called?"

"I am called Dithrar, Sire."