Good Intentions

Soliana sat on the chaise with Loki's head resting on her lap.  Slowly she massaged his temples.

"Welcome to Númenorian politics, my sweet." She chuckled softly.

"It was insane! They were physically hurling objects at each other.  Then when a woman entered the chamber, it was horrid the way they spoke to her."

"We are ushering in a new age, my love."

"That we are.  It was amusing when they discovered the Chief Steward position was going to be more than ceremonial.  They willingly gave power to her." Loki laughed. Soliana leaned over and kissed him.

Thor barged into the room. "Excuse me, Brother."

Loki glared at Thor. "You know I am king here, right? No more barging into my room without permission."

Thor laughed. "So amusing, Brother.  I need your advice.  Both of you actually."

Loki sat up. "What is it oaf?"

Ignoring Loki, Thor continued. "I am thinking of asking the beautiful Lady Sif to be my bride and future Queen of Asgard."

Loki rose and embraced his brother. "This is good news!"

Soliana joined them. "Congratulations!"

"I have not yet asked the lady." Thor began to pace nervously. "What if she declines?"

"You are an oaf. She will not decline." Said Loki.

"But how do I ask her? I am not one for romantic gestures."

"That is obvious." Remarked Loki.  Soliana jabbed him with her elbow. "Ow!"

"Thor, dear, it does not have to be grandiose.  She just needs to know that it comes from your heart."

"But it is the execution that confounds me."

"Execution? Refer to it in that term and you doom the endeavor." Laughed Loki.

"Shhh, darling. Let a woman speak." Soliana interjected.  "First of all, you to present her with a gift.  What do you have in mind? For instance, Loki gave me his heart in the form of this pendant." She stroked the emerald gently and Loki leaned in and kissed her.

"You two just bubble over with love and romance. Sif and I are more direct shall we say."

"Then be direct.  Here is a thought." Soliana began to picture the scenario in her head. "Take her out for a ride.  She will enjoy that.  Then you take her to a designated spot where a picnic will be waiting for the two of you."

"A picnic? I can't plan a picnic!" Thor began to panic.

"Leave that to us.  I know the perfect spot and my dear husband knows the two of you well enough to plan the menu.  Now what about that gift?"

"She has been admiring the workmanship of the swords carried by Haldir's special guard."

"A sword?" questioned Soliana.

"No, no that's actually a good idea." Said Loki. "A beautiful sword with rubies on the hilt.  Sif would go mental over that.  Oh! And throw in an armlet with matching rubies."

"She would love it!" exclaimed Thor.

"We need at least two days to get everything fabricated." Said Loki.

"The funeral is in two days, my love."

"Oh yes, my apologies.  It will have to wait until afterwards, dear Brother.  It does give us more time, which is good.  Now all you have to do is practice actually asking her." Said Loki.