Emotions

Loki strode into the Numenorian library and was greeted by a frantic Agis.

"My apologies, Your Majesty, we were hoping to be further along.  There are just so many layers of dust to cut through and we want to remove them without destroying the books and scrolls."

"It is understandable Agis.  What is a library without a little dust? From what I see, you have worked wonders." The tall, narrow man beamed with pride.

"I am actually quite astounded, Your Majesty.  The thirst for knowledge is so great we have decided to leave the library open continuously for the first few weeks.  I have had so many who wished to work here I felt sorrow at turning away such qualified candidates.  This is quite the gift you have given to the people of Númenor, and I am honored in your confidence in me."

Loki patted the thin man on the back. "You honor me with your effort." Loki lifted his eyes and saw his banner hanging from the center glass dome. "I am to meet the Chief Steward here, has she arrived?"

"Yes, Your Majesty.  She is over by the Kings Journals."

"Thank you, Agis.  Once I am through with my meeting, I look forward to a walk-through with you."

"I look forward to it as well, Your Majesty." The man bowed and hurried off on his spindly legs.

Loki walked over to the section containing the journals of the Kings who came before him.  He planned to make great use of their journals prior to departure on the tour.  He saw Molari thumbing through one of the volumes.

"Greetings, Chief Steward.  Thank you for meeting with me."

"My pleasure, Sire. Just reading the journals.  They are positively fascinating!"

"Yes, I've begun reading them myself.  I've also started keeping my own though it is starting to read like a fantasy tale with all that has happened in the short time of my reign."

"Your reign has been, shall we say, eventful." Laughed Molari.

"Well, to the matter at hand.  I am attempting to get my head around tradition and actual law on Númenor.  I say we have already made history with your appointment."

"There is still some grumbling, Loki.  Some of the councilmen have been refusing to attend council meetings."

"They elected you.  How absurd! Do you need me to step in? I have a feeling you have it well in hand."

"You would be correct.  I instituted a fine for missed meetings without a valid excuse.  I feel as if I am working with children.  Most claim to be ill but I of course send a litter to their quarters to take them to the healers. Out of concern, of course. Seems to bring about a miracle cure." They both laughed.

"My Queen and I have been forming great plans for Númenor including the expansion of trade to Jotunheim.  I need a cooperative council."

"Jotunheim? Why would you do that?"

"The realm has been devastated and disregarded by Asgard.  King Laufey has appealed to me directly.  His heir will start to have meetings with me to discuss ways to revive their economy."

"But they are monsters." Said Molari in shock.

Loki bristled. "Their transgressions were almost five hundred years ago, Molari.  We also judge them by their appearance rather than by their intent."

"That will be hard to get by this council, Loki."

"I know that.  I informed King Laufey of that as well.  He is willing to do whatever it takes to show his true desire to repair his realm. And he is just the first. My predecessor took an aggressive approach to diplomacy with the other realms.  I want to change that perception."