"My fire?"

He nodded once. "That was kinda hot, the way you just went off on me like that."

Skylar huffed loudly, shoving past him again, making sure her shoulder rammed into his. She tightened her fists at the sound of his snickering behind her. "Maybe I should piss you off more often."

"Shut up."

She stopped in front of the full length mirror that hung on the door. Turned her torso from side to side. She saw Kaden approaching her in the reflection but ignored him. His hands jerked towards her, but were then quickly shoved into his pants, as if fighting the urge to touch her. He seemed to do that out of instinct now- holding her hand in between classes, while walking to classes, he even moved seats in English to be right next to her. Skylar wasn't sure how she felt about this kind of commitment, fake or not. It was too...real.

Skylar studied herself in the mirror. She tugged on her plain dark blue jeans. Underneath her thin red cardigan was a plain white shirt. Her hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail. It was comfy but cute. She liked it. She was going to wear it, whether Kaden approved or not. She couldn't care less about his fashion advice.

"I was just messing with you earlier. You don't need to change a single thing, Sky. If you're happy with how you look now, then I'm happy." He met her eyes through the reflection. "Okay?"

"Okay."

"Okay. Then let's get out of here." The clashing of metal erupted when he fished his keys out his pocket. The lanyard spun around and around his fingers. With a mischievous smirk, he leaned close to the nape of her neck. Just one more inch and his lips would be pressed to her skin. She froze. "By the way, I already think you look pretty good dressed like this."

* * *

Kaden was always watching her, but now she reversed the roles. She took note of everything he did- small mannerisms to speech. The way he spread his legs no matter where he sat to show the world that he owned the place. The way he sang at the top of his lungs to the song, screaming every lyric wrong but not giving a damn. He was confident. It projected off him. He could waltz into a new scene not knowing anything or anyone and still be the coolest person in the room.

As self-deprecating as it was to play the comparison game, it also gave Skylar a smudge of hope. At least now she knew that Kaden's self-assurance was something to be learned, not inherited. Who's to say that Skylar herself couldn't be like him? It might take time, but that's what baby steps were for.

When they pulled up to Adrian Ford's street, she was both relieved (and surprised) to find that his home was average looking. It was no different than your typical suburban, white picket fenced neighborhood. Herds of teens clustered around the front lawn like ants, scattered about, feasting on the socialization of high school. The sun had set an hour ago, and the pale street light cast a silhouette over everybody. The entire street was lined up with convertibles, some of them breaking the law and parking near fire hydrants. It made Skylar itch with guilt, but she chose to stay silent.

Kaden killed the engine, and for a moment, they surveyed the scene. "Why is everyone wearing backpacks?" Skylar asked, squinting at the odd sight. This wasn't school. Why not bring a purse, or smaller bag?

"Welcome to your first ever party." He grinned at her lazily. "Rule number one: don't ask questions. So. You ready?"

"No. What do I do when I'm inside? Do I take off my shoes? Was I supposed to bring something? Are his parents home?"

He laughed. "Sky, you're fine-"

"The music is too loud, Kaden. The neighbours might get mad. Some people have to get up early for work on the weekends, maybe we should just go-"