Nathan

28th December

Dallas and Gabby have been in Dallas' old bedroom for an hour at least. Something major has gone down between Josh and Gab, from the little snippet of conversation I heard in the kitchen.

He just wants to see what's going on. Find out if there's another reason for this. . . behaviour.

It sounds like the bastard left her. It would explain why she's back in town, drinking herself into oblivion. Fuck, couldn't judge her for that. I'd spent plenty of my own time at the bottom of a bottle. Or balls deep in some nameless girl.

If Drayton is dealing with it, good luck to Josh.

That man is a force not to be reckoned with. It's always been a relief not to worry about Dallas when it comes to that aspect of her life. Drayton worships the ground she walks on, protects and loves her fiercely. She'd have never settled for less anyway. My sister always knew her worth when it came to the boys she hung around with.

I'll never forget the night I forgot to pick Dallas up from work when she was in high school. Alana, the pretty teacher aide at the school was over and I had my head between her legs when I heard the car pull up outside. It reminded me I was supposed to be in my own fucking car, getting my little sister.

Drayton, who found her walking in the dark, ripped me a new one and I couldn't be mad because he was right and it proved to me that her safety was so fucking important to him.

Dallas' bedroom door opens when I'm one and a half episodes into All American. Still in the same spot they left me on the sofa. Dallas appears first, talking over her shoulder.

"It'd be about four months. Like, I want to do it, but Drayton is about to finish up the season and we'll have time together at home. I don't want to disappear before we've even had that down time."

Gabby follows her into the kitchen, holding her empty cup. She makes a point not to look at me and I'm starting to wonder what the fuck is even going on. How did we interact five years ago? I mean, she annoyed me from time to time, but it wasn't like this.

She did stupid shit like, leave her shoes right in front of the door so I tripped on them when I came in. Or sat next to me and read the paper, turning the page before I was done with my article. She also had a bad habit of talking while I was watching the football.

She'd been a bundle of fucking energy all the time and it was irritating but now she's pissing me off for an entirely new reason and I can't figure out what the fuck it is.

"You can't turn down opportunities though," Gabby says, seeming. . . lighter. "Couldn't Drayton go too? You've worked hard to be a dancer. I mean, Bebe Rexha? I would go."

Dallas sighs, giving her friend a small smile. "Yeah I know. Drayton wants me to sign on but I don't know. I thought I was pregnant a few months ago. I was sort of sad when the test was negative."

I balk from the couch. "Excuse me?"

She peers over at me. "I wasn't talking to you."

Gabby ignores me as well. "You want to start having kids?!"

"I don't know," Dallas wraps her arms around herself. "Maybe?"

"You're only twenty three," Gabby quietly reminds her. Thank goodness she's here to talk some sense into my sister. Not that I think her and Drayton shouldn't have kids. I do think she should wait and live out the best part of her career first though.

"You were eighteen," Dallas gives her a flat look.

"That was a beautiful, wonderful and special accident. I wouldn't recommend it though."