During the previews, Kaden leaned in, whispering, "Are the creative juices flowing yet?"

"Yes. A lot. Thank you, for everything." In the dark, he couldn't see the warmth rushing through her skin as she lied. He knew she was a terrible liar, but if she was honest, and told him how she felt zero spark or connection, that the creative juices were at a flatline, it'd hurt his feelings. She couldn't do that to Kaden, not after how sweet he was these past few days. He paid for her movie tickets and her food, and he gave her a ride. She couldn't deject him like that.

Skylar was invested in the movie and laughed at all the right parts. While it had the typical cheesy lines and romantic banter, there was nothing that she could use to propel the plot of her short story. What didn't help was the couple seated a few rows below them who were clearly making out. The sounds of their sucking and slight groans were distracting. At one point, Kaden threw his popcorn at their heads and snapped, "Get a room. Some of us are trying to watch a movie here."

Kaden had placed a reservation at a fancy restaurant with origami white linen napkins, live music and outdoor seating. The night was beautiful- stars glowed overhead, while the moon was a half-crescent. Fairy lights were strung all along the patio and Skylar felt significantly younger than everyone else. A majority of the diners were elderly, or at least middle aged. They were the only teenagers in the vicinity. A basket of bread rolls sat between them as Skylar clinked the knife to her champagne glass, trying to make some kind of tune like she saw Mr. Bean do. "Sorry" she said sheepishly when noticing Kaden watching her. "I just don't know how to start conversations. It's abnormal for me. I usually wait for the other party to say something first."

"And what if I didn't? What if I just sat here, waiting for you to start the conversation?"

There was the clink as Skylar put all the utensils down. "Then we'd be sitting here in very, very awkward silence."

He laughed. "Lucky for you I happen to be a very good conversation starter. You wanna know the secret?"

She leaned forward, nodding eagerly. "Don't start with the small stuff. How's the weather, what do you do in your free time, tell me about yourself, blah, noone cares. It just makes everything more rigid and forced." Skylar knew he meant well, but it felt like a personal attack. Everything he just listed was exactly how she began discussions. And if what he was saying was true, then it explained her lack of friends. "Instead, jump into a story. Tell them something personal or funny, or both."

Skylar fidgeted with her origami swan napkin. "Like what?"

"So get this: today in P.E, you know my friend Harris right? Dumb guy. He streaks the entire gymnasium in exchange for five bucks. Five bucks! Whose dignity is set that low? The teacher was right there too, and gave him two weeks detention plus a visit from the principal. And all for five fucking weasley bucks."

Skylar giggled, and right then, the waiter arrived with their drinks. The conversation flowed pretty quickly after that, as they discussed everything from English class to their home lives. She learned that his mother was a psychiatrist and his step-father ran his own law firm. Judging by the way he talked of his step-father, Paul, she figured he wasn't a big fan. Skylar took this as an opportunity to discuss her own soon-to-be step-father of her own. When she mentioned that her mother was pregnant, courtesy of Aaron, Kaden widened his eyes.

"Wow. So... is your mom going to marry this guy?"

Skylar hesitated. While her mother hadn't explicitly mentioned anything of the sort, it was implied that Aaron was going to move in one day. His desire to be involved with the child was no secret, which meant that wedding bells were soon underway. And Skylar knew her mother- she wasn't one to elope in Vegas or go to city hall for crappy papers. She wanted the grand scheme of things. The white dress. The fancy flowers. Invitations with calligraphy. Bridesmaids. Vows. All of it. Every single penny that would place them in further debt. "I think so. It'd go against my mother's beliefs to have a child with a man she wouldn't see herself marrying."