"Yes" Skylar replied, also in Canto. "Where's mother?"

"At the doctor's appointment. She told you that this morning, remember? They are taking a long time."

"They?" Skylar froze. Her hand went up to scratch her neck. "Is Aaron taking her?" Goosebumps rose pin-straight at the mere mention of his name.

"I don't remember his name." Po-po flicked her wrist all dilly-dally, like she was shooing away a fly. "That white man. You know who I'm talking about."

Po-po never remembered anyone's names. Instead, she referred to customers by their physical traits: the lady with the purse dog, the man with the Afro, the little girl with the angled knees. Yet for the life of her, the extent of her grandmother's names ended with her direct family. God forbid Skylar had any friends, po-po would've risked being cancelled by calling them in accordance to their race. It was a good thing she didn't have any.

"Hmmm." Skylar refused to say more. The entire family knew her stance on Aaron, and even Aaron recognized, as clear as day, that Skylar was not a fan.

Sure, Aaron was a nice guy. Conventionally attractive, some would say, for a thirty-five year old man who was about to be a first time parent. "Decent" was a fitting description. Aaron was two years younger than Skylar's mother, but his maturity out aged her by a ton. "Average" is the second word she'd use to describe him. As a lawyer at a corporate law firm, he made steady pay. Widowed with no children, Skylar supposed that's what attracted Aaron to her mother. Around six years ago, Skylar's own father had passed away. Stage three bowel cancer. Perhaps the loss of their significant other is what drew Aaron and Ms. Lin into such a tight bond that had them prancing with the hopes of marriage.

The thought made her dizzy.

Skylar popped open the cash register just to have something to do with her hands. The papery bills felt comforting in between her callused fingers. "Why is mother at the doctors? Is she okay?"

A small crease formed with po-po's eyebrows, which were the function of a sleek tattoo over a decade ago. Both the women in the Lin family harbored them, wearing them proudly, even, but Skylar thought they looked ridiculous. As if a toddler smeared them on with Sharpie themselves. Skylar didn't understand the emphasis on eyebrows. They were a facial feature that she'd never even paid attention too until it became a huge trend on social media. "Your ma-ma said something about being light-headed lightly. You know, Aaron. He's a good man. Took the day off from work to drive her. He just wants to make sure she is okay."

A small hmp escaped Skylar's lips. "Ay, neui, there's a box of snacks near the back that needs to be price tagged. Would you get this for me, please? Your po-po's back hurts."

"Of course."

"Thank you, neui. I'll watch the register for now." The two switched places, leaving Skylar to do an awkward side step as she passed her grandmother, who patted her cheeks twice, nice and firm, her main portrayal of affection.

Skylar was hunched over in the back removing cereal containers from the boxes when the front door jingled. She was too preoccupied with her task to bother looking up. She wasn't a violent person, nor did she hold grudges easily, but the day's loneliness and self-isolation had gotten the worst of her. Day after day of not having friends was exhausting, sure, but by the end of it, Skylar knew she could blame no one but herself. If only she were more confident, witty, funny, approachable.... If only she were more likable, then she'd attract her classmates just as easily as someone like Michael Chen or Kaden Brooks could. Ever since she was younger, she longed for a best friend, the ones like they showed in the movies. Where the two friends had a platonic meet-cute that launched into a decade long montage, displaying their time growing up together. Where they would walk into each other's houses like it was their own, knowing that no matter what, at the end of the day, they had each other's backs. That was probably what Skylar envied most of all.