After a few minutes of standing there quietly, feeling like a complete idiot, I walked away. Somehow, I thought venting out my anger at him would help, but his reaction left me feeling more miserable than before.

The day was beautiful and bright, cheering me up as soon as I got outside. The sun shone its golden rays on me, spreading warmth through my entire body as I walked to my car. I took a deep breath once I was inside, deciding to push aside what had happened a couple of minutes ago and enjoy my last day in this town.

Everything had happened so fast. I felt like there had been no time to say goodbye to the place I had spent nineteen years of my life. The least I could do was leave with positivity.

A loud rapping on the window gave me a fright, bringing me out of my thoughts to divert my attention elsewhere. "Hey," Daniel waved. It took me a moment to recompose myself before winding down the window.

"Hi," I smiled nervously. I didn't want anyone knowing why I came here. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?" He furrowed his brow. "I... work here?" He reminded me. Oh yeah, crap. "I should be asking you that."

"You should?" I panicked. I quickly thought of a lie. "I came to see you, actually."

"You did?"

"Yes, I'm leaving today and I didn't want to end on bad terms, you know? So I thought I should tell you something that's been on my mind— clear the air or whatever," I lied, hoping it wasn't too transparent. It wasn't a total lie because I did need to speak to him; I had planned to do it just before I left for London but figured there was no harm in telling him right now.

"Oh," he replied, surprised. "Yeah, of course. I've hated having this awkwardness between us," he said.

I told him I felt the same. "So, the thing is, I lied to you. I told you that Tyler knew about our kiss so you would help us with the case but I haven't actually told him. I don't even know if I want to," I admitted.

He laughed, saying, "Arissa, I already know that. Do you really think I believed Tyler would know and stay so calm about it? Actually become friends with me again? No way."

"Why didn't you say anything?" I was shocked.

"I didn't think I needed to. That's all in the past, we don't have to bring it up again. It's your secret and you have the right to decide whether you want to tell him or not," he replied.

"Thank you so much, Daniel. You really are a great friend," I smiled at him.

He smiled back, moving away from the window. "Guess I'll see you tonight at dinner!"

"You're coming?" It was my turn to be surprised. It made sense since he played a huge part in the court case against Jake.

"Yeah, Tyler invited me... if that's OK with you?"

"Sure," I quickly said, smiling. "I'd like that."

He returned the smile, said goodbye and walked away. I strapped in my seat belt and started the car when the doors of the police station flew open and out he came again. "I forgot to say happy birthday!" He shouted from a distance.

I laughed, "thanks!"

-

The house was empty tonight. Mum and Dad had already left an hour ago, I supposed joining the other guests at the restaurant. It was quarter to eight as I slipped my feet into my little black boots, waiting for Tyler to pick me up. He rang earlier, saying 'something had changed' but not bothering to elaborate. It was fair to say that waiting to see this supposed change made me anxious.