I came out, all loosened up. “We really need to do that more often.” I commented, walking out the door with Leah. “It’s very refreshing.”

“Yeah.” She agreed. “My muscles feel like new.”

I smiled and ran back to my house with her. We ate some lunch and hung around. Then she brought up Conner again.

“So what does he look like?”

“Well, he has short black hair and pure gold eyes. Plus the muscles, naturally, seeing as he’s a werewolf.”

“Ooh. He sounds handsome.” She smiled.

I playfully punched her. “Paws off! He’s mine.”

“I thought you said you didn’t need him.”

“It still doesn’t mean that you can have him!”

“I think it does. If you don’t want him, he’s fair game.” She smiled mischievously

“I didn’t say that I didn’t want him.” I said defensively.

“I’m pretty sure not needing him, equals to not wanting him.”

“Not in my book. Plus, maybe I do want him.”

“I knew it!” she exclaimed, wide-eyed. “You still love him and wish he were here!”  

“No! I mean, ugh. Yes, I still love him, yes I miss him, yes I do need him, but I’m not sure if I want him here. Besides, I don’t even know if he loves me. I don’t know where he is, or anything! So even with knowing that I need him, it won’t do any good, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

She stayed solemnly quiet for a moment, before breaking out in a smile and saying. “We’ll see.” I gave her a questioning look. She didn’t give any hints away, and instead changed the subject. “Well, its 2 pm already, I should go.”

“Oh, ok.” I agreed, showing her the door. She left and I thought about what to do next. It was really boring with no company, and nothing to be done. So I stopped over at Sam’s house. There were always people there.

“Hello Tara.” Smiled Emily, with a basket of laundry. “Haven’t seen you in a couple days.”

“Yeah.” I said, scratching my head. “I’ve been pretty busy up ‘til now.”

“Well, Seth’s wandering around somewhere depressed, the usual for the past week or so, I never know where Leah is, Jake is with Bella again, no surprise there, and the rest of the boys are on patrol.”

“Guess it’s just you and me again.” I commented.

“You bet on it. Hey, can you go upstairs and turn the dryer to 30min and press start? The clothes are already in there.”

“sure.” I said, jogging up the stairs and doing what she said. As I passed a room, while starting to head back downstairs, some papers flew off a dresser and onto my feet. I picked them up and tried not to look at them as I put them back on the dresser. But I couldn’t help but see a big red saying that was marked by a stamp. Rejected. This stirred up my curiosity and I looked at the title of the paper. They were adoption papers. I grabbed them back off the dresser and skimmed over their content. Sam and Emily tried to adopt Mirabelle. But, because of Emily’s scars from the accident, they didn’t get to.

I quickly set down the papers as if they were on fire and got out of the room. I tried to breathe and control my emotions as I gripped the new information. I felt so bad for Sam and Emily, no wonder why they were beating themselves up when she left. They tried, and they failed. Yet here I was; almost a stranger. I only have been here for two weeks, and only had a house for a few days, and yet I was able to adopt. They were five times more qualified than me to adopt, yet was the one who got to. It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t fair at all.