sixteen.

The Perfect Night

~~~~~

"it's okay for you to take a moment for yourself, even it takes awhile to understand

"it's okay for you to take a moment for yourself, even it takes awhile to understand."

~~~~~

Freya had briefly left the room once more after she received a call from her wife Keelin. The woman had originally declined the call until Hope insisted that she would be fine for a few moments.

Hope was now mindlessly fiddling with the necklace around her neck as she waited for her aunt to come back. As if her wishes were answered, the door to the hospital room opened.

"Aunt Fre—"

Hope's words stopped mid-sentence when she saw that it was not her aunt that had entered the room. Instead, the teenage girl had been greeted with the sight of her best friend's sister and past...

Lover?

Girlfriend?

Fling?

She wasn't exactly sure what to call her that directly related to what had gone on between them, so Hope just opted for going with what she knew—Lydia was Benjamin's sister and that was all she was ever going to be now.

The strawberry blonde had made that abundantly clear on multiple occasions.

"Lydia," Hope corrected herself.

"Hi," Lydia greeted her, hesitantly, not sure if the girl was going to kick her out of the room. When she didn't, the strawberry blonde continued. "How are you doing?" Lydia then paused. "That's a stupid question for me to ask, considering—" She gestured to the hospital room.

"Mm," Hope hummed. "I'm fine, by the way," She replied, earning a small smile from Lydia. "You were in the school. At least, I heard you were. Are you okay with everything that happened?"

A frown appeared on Lydia's face. "I don't exactly know what happened, and I can't be okay with something I can't explain, so..."

Hope had been planning on telling Lydia everything if the two of them had gotten into a real relationship; however, that idea had been shot down when Lydia told her nothing was going to happen between them.

"You'll figure it out," Hope told her. "You're too smart not to. No matter how much you try to downplay yourself."

Lydia smiled.