Chapter 6

"Go fish!" Nex smiled victoriously. Phoenix groaned and threw her cards on the table. She huffed something along the lines of "Stupid game.." as she walked away. Nova chuckled and started gathering the cards. Nex gave him a look and Nova nodded. Nex got up and left down the same hallway Phoenix had. "Phoe is quite the sore loser." Nova said and smiled mischievously. You looked up from your book, but said nothing. "How are you holding up?" You sighed and grabbed your bookmark from the table. Morpheus had given it to you along with some books about the new underground city, Io's history. The bookmark was a nice shade of dark green with flower decorations like roses and tulips all differing in colors. You slipped it in between the thick book and closed it.  

"It has been a while since you last got news and you have been very different to the way you were before being trapped in the matrix.. Again." Nova added quickly. "Yeah it's just.. Everything was so easy." You sighed rubbing your eyes tiredly. "Now, I find out my husband has forgotten me and wants to kill me... Heck, I didn't even know I had a husband to begin with!" Nova nodded. You felt regretful about your words and tried to apologise. "I'm sorry. I-" "No. It's alright. You are allowed to feel that way." Nova smiled and continued. "You are going through a lot and it is understandable for you to feel like that." Fresh tears prickled your eyes. "Thank you." You sniffed. "It's all good. And maybe having Smith you will brighten things up." He suggested and you nodded hopefully.

Later you helped Phoenix with preparing lunch. You got to make the salad and went with something pretty basic since you were still getting used to eating in the real world. You put all the lettuce and other ingredients in a nice clay bowl. Nex set the table. You sat at the end of the table with Tilla on your left and Neo on your right. You chatted with Neo about everything new you had learned about Io's history. 

After the lunch was finished Morpheus spoke up. "We will be returning to Io today. General Niobe has asked all captains to be present when Patience receives the title of captain." "Oh our little Patience, all grown up." Nova whispered to his sister and you jokingly. His sister pushed him lightly. You chuckled and shook your head. 

"What do you think Io will look like? I hope it isn't as depressing as Zion.." You said to Neo, who nodded. You suddenly felt someone poke you and you turned to see Tilla. They showed you their tablet. "You may come see Smith now, but he is resting so do NOT wake him up. The first awakening is always the worst and he had to be sedated due to his aggressive behaviour." They smiled at you gently but sadly. You nodded and got up. "Thank you." You wondered how much sedatives were coursing through his body right now and how many times he had been sedated these past months.

You followed after Tilla to one of the rooms. They pressed a button by the enterance and the door slid open. Tilla entered first and you followed soon behind. "I'll give you two some privacy. If you need anything or his condition changes, I'll be back at the medbay and free to help." You nodded and thanked them once more. They walked out the door and left you alone with Smith. You sat on an old armchair. It was right next to the bed Smith was resting on. It was weird seeing him in the real world. It had been months since you had seen him and his hair had started to grow, but it was still very short. A rush of nostalgia caused you to want to run your hand through his hair, but you resisted the urge, choosing to look over his resting form instead.

Eventually you left but you visited Smith multiple times during that week. Valo was slowly approaching Io and you'd soon see the new city for yourself. You decided to bring a book with you today. The book was about Io's culture. You pressed a button to let yourself in Smith's room. He was still sleeping. You sat down on the armchair next to his bed and opened the book. You were reading about the school system on Zion when you were drawn from the page by Smith's stirring. He had done it couple times before today but now he seemed more restless. He suddenly sat up. An excitement bubbled inside of you. "Welcome home, beloved." Smith turned to look at you quickly. You could tell by his demeanor that he was about to attack when he realized it was you and just sat there looking at you. You set down the book. Smith's expression was puzzled and soon enough he spoke. "Where am I?" "You're on the ship, Valo." You explained. He nodded slowly. "I'm guessing you remember our deal?" You presumed. He avoided your eyes. "Could I get some privacy, please?" You heard the edge in his voice and you couldn't help feel hurt. "Alright. I will inform the medbay about your awakening.." You said before leaving the room. 

As soon as you reached your room you felt yourself crumble. You had thought having Smith awake and here would bring some sence into this and yet it made everything worse. You wanted him to hold you and tell you everything would be alright and yet he acted as if you didn't know each other. You couldn't help the tears as you laid yourself on your bed and hugged your pillow.

(Yeah anyway that's quite a lot of crying. Thanks for reading this chapter and I'll now get back to updating more frequently.)