Part 3 - Chapter 10

Mulai dari awal

"I just didn't really know where to go and I couldn't go to Hina's. But I promise I'll only stay a night or two and-"

"You can stay here as long as you want." He interrupted my impending rambling softly.

He stood up from the couch and ruffled my hair as he walked past me to go to the kitchen. He came back with a glass of water that he handed to me.

"You can take my room if you want." He offered, plopping back down next to me.

"Oh no, I'll just sleep here on the couch. It's fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Wanna watch Tv?"

"Sure."

This was exactly what I loved about Draken. He didn't pry when he felt like he shouldn't. Instead he just offered a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on. I was lucky to have him in my life.

He let me prop my legs on his lap and he rested his arms across the back of the couch while we watched the news together. I wasn't really listening to what the news anchor was saying though. My thoughts were all occupied by Mitsuya. 

He must have arrived home by now. Which means he found my note and the engagement ring. Is he worried? Is he looking for me right now? 

I had turned off my phone so I couldn't know if he had tried to call or text me. 

And the letters... 

They were still in one of my travel bags. Part of me was dying to open them. The other was way too scared to do so, afraid it'd bring me back five years ago to my hopeful self, back when I had feelings for Rindou and was anxiously waiting for a response from him. I couldn't bring myself to read them just yet.

"...Bonten, criminal gang involved in illegal gambling..."

I paid more attention when the news anchor mentioned the infamous gang. I felt Draken'd body stiffen under my legs. His eyes thinned as he stared at the TV, his gaze fixing the images of the raid of an illegal gambling house in Roppongi.

"Hey." I called out to him softly.

"Hmm?" He averted his gaze from the TV to look at me.

"Have you ever looked for Mikey?" I asked him.

I knew I had. But he had disappeared overnight five years ago without leaving one trace behind. Not a day went by that I didn't wonder where he was or what he was doing now.

"Of course." Draken replied.

"And did you find him?"

His gaze slowly drifted back to the TV where other images of the raid of the illegal gambling house were shown.

"No." He finally answered.

Maybe I was just being paranoid after what I had just found out about Mitsuya, but I felt like Draken had just lied to me.

--------------------------------

The next morning, when I arrived at the building I was supposed to help convert to a business property, I settled in the same room I had worked in the day before. Today, I was supposed to meet with the man who took care of their finances in order to decide what budget could be allocated to their project.

30 missed calls and 15 texts from Mitsuya. That's what I found when I turned on my phone. I chose not to read any of his texts and to focus on my work instead.

I was drinking a cup of coffee in the kitchen when a young woman who looked around my age sauntered into the room. She was carrying a small pouch bag and a pair of high heels in her hands. She was obviously wearing the same outfit and makeup she was wearing the night before : a red bodycon dress and a smokey eye. But despite doing what some people would call 'the walk of shame', she seemed happier than ever. Satisfied. As if she'd just spent the best night of her life. And the possibility that she had shared that night with Rindou had my stomach turning and twisting in a knot.