Chapter 64: Ashen Light

Start from the beginning

Then there was another flash closer to but not quite at the left side of the building.

"Report!" she barked.

When there was no response, she cursed and hit the radio again.

"Pull back to the front, whoever is doing this won't find me such an easy target," she said.

A few moments later the last remnants of her team ran around the corner and stopped next to her.

She created a psychic dome around them, and not a moment too soon. As there was a tremendous flash of light outside the barrier and a scorch mark riming the outside of the barrier appeared.

Jackie blinked and tried to clear her vision, the light had been near blinding but her barrier had weakened the light enough that she didn't actually go blind. She strengthened the barrier, and the outside became distorted. Like looking through a veil of water.

Then a spot of light appeared above them and they looked up. A figure stood atop the hospital, glowing with a golden light. Then the figure stepped off the roof and fell feet first, slamming into a crouched position. Then they stood up as if they hadn't just dropped eight stories. As the figure got closer, Jackie's eyes widened and she spun round.

Only to see what she had overlooked before, the body of the hospital director had vanished. She spun back round to the front to face the hospital director who had a hole in her clothes but otherwise showed no signs of Jackie's psychic lance having hit her.

"It took me a while, but I eventually managed to reconstitute my heart. You got me by surprise, I didn't have the time to tap into my well properly before your attack put a nice hole through me. So it took me extra time to repair my heart since I had to keep myself alive without a heart for a while" the woman said conversationally, tapping the dome as she came up close to it.

"You've killed my team?" Jackie asked.

"Hmmm? Yes of course." the woman said, tapping the barrier again and starting to walk around it.

"I may be a doctor, but I always have been, and always will be a hero first and foremost. You have come to my hospital with the intent of harming the people within, and that, I will not permit." She said icily, eyes narrowing slightly.

"Your quirk heals, it doesn't fucking incinerate people!" Jacki said angrily, she hated not having all the facts and being taken by surprise like this.

"That is only one half of my quirk, the half my mother gave me. My father... gave me the other." She said, raising one hand toward the psychic barrier.

The woman's eyes flashed gold and from the raised hand a massive burst of light flared out. Jackie created a personal barrier around herself as the dome was ripped apart. When the light died, Jackie stood among a pile of ash.

Jackie sent a lance through the woman's heart but before her eyes, golden light filled the hole mere milliseconds after it had been made and it was as if nothing had happened.

"You-" the woman started to say before Jackie blew her entire upper half apart with a massive wave of psychic energy.

Once again the light reconstituted the woman who was now nude from the waist up.

The woman sighed and looked down.

"Damn... I was hoping to keep my clothes..." she sighed.

Then the woman's body started to shine like a small golden sun. Every last piece of clothing she was wearing was immediately incinerated and where her feet met the sidewalk, it bubbled and melted. Her eyes had gone solid gold, and like water, the golden light flowed off her.