Prison Walls (Pt.1)

Magsimula sa umpisa

He turned swiftly down the dark alleyway, which headed straight as an arrow between houses and buildings either side. When it reached the back of the tavern, there was no back door. Nathaniel knew this, but the alley zigzagged to the left and came out a few doors down. The street was wide and light. It was also quite busy so he had saved himself quite a bit of time taking the different route. The tavern itself looked warm and busy through the windows. Hanging down from a piece of jutting wood, from two chains was a board with a giant, holding a tankard as big as a man. It was a favourite spot of Nathaniel's to drink at and the atmosphere was always welcoming.

Inside a fire was burning in the hearth and it was bustling and quite noisy. It was perfect for his meeting. No one would be able to hear them and would probably not care about what they were talking about. As he walked up to the counter he could smell a spit roast in the kitchens. He realised how hungry he was but first he had to find Ogwyn. Taking a tankard of ale his eyes scanned the room but he could not see Ogwyn in the sea of faces in front of him. Then as he turned back, sat at the far end of the counter was the scholar, also wearing plain clothes. He looked very different out of his scholar's toga, but that was all to the better for Nathaniel, in case the commander had someone watching him still. Nathaniel approached him and pointed with his eyes to a quieter looking corner, tucked back behind the stairs.

When they had both sat down Nathaniel began telling him of his search in the crypts, explaining how he had no luck, but then remembered the palace key. Ogwyn guessed that he did not find it. He believed that the key would have passed to the prince before his exile. It seemed a likely explanation and without knowledge of the other keys it put them all out of his reach. His last hope was that Torstein knew. The wizard was wise and seemed to have a vast knowledge of the world, surpassing both his and Ogwyn's combined, no doubt. He could not afford to leave the city just yet. There was still more to be done there. "How did they not find the passage when they built the senate in the place of the palace?" asked Nathaniel, puzzled. Ogwyn was unsure, but thought that they probably did not know it when they saw it, during the construction of the senate, or without the key it would remain hidden.

Ogwyn soon changed the subject and began to speak about getting a warning to the city. The only problem was there was no way. No one would ever believe what he said until it was already too late. By then what could he do? "I have a friend in the ministry, he also frequents my library." Began Ogwyn, "I have explained," then after a pause, "a little of your story to him." By the pause that preceded 'a little', Nathaniel knew he had excluded the less believable parts, which were of course the most important. "I have managed to persuade him to get you an audience with chancellor Lydan." Continued Ogwyn. Nathaniel's face lit up with shock and amazement at the good news. This was a chance he could not throw away. He had to try and make the chancellor see the truth and prepare the city. "When?" he asked anxiously,
"I will speak to my friend tomorrow, he will arrange it and I will let you know."

For now all he could do was hope that Lydan did not reject the audience and leave them doomed; but if one minister would listen, it might make a difference. At that moment the kitchen door swung open and Nathaniel was blasted by a wave of hot air carrying the most delicious odours. A serving girl came round the corner, carrying a plate of spit-roasted pork. Nathaniel grabbed her arm gently as she passed, to make her stop. Two plates of that for me and my friend please," he asked politely. She smiled at him sweetly. She was intriguingly pretty he thought looking at her and she was dressed to catch a man's eye. "And a jug of ale too please," he asked, smiling in reply. He had not seen her before on his many visits to the tavern and as such she made him curious.

After she had delivered the plate she whisked back into the kitchen passing a quick glance and smile to Nathaniel before disappearing round the corner. When she returned she held the two plates in one hand and the jug of ale in the other. Held by her little finger of one hand was also another tankard and she set down her load on their table and took a seat next to Ogwyn. "You both look very serious," she mused, pouring ale into all three mugs. Although she had sat down uninvited while they were discussing secretively, there was something about her that intrigued him. As he examined her closely he could sense a reserved beauty. "Who are you, what do you do?" she asked, as they looked at her in a dumbfounded silence.
"I am Nathaniel, a city guardsman," replied Nathaniel, followed quickly by "and this is my father," he lied, knowing that he could not trust her fully just yet. "And you?" he asked her in return, "I am Eira," she said, "a barmaid," she added with a coy giggle. Ogwyn stood up, having wolfed down the meat. "I am afraid it is late and I must be leaving son," he said bowing to the young lady, keeping up Nathaniel's lie.
"We will talk again soon father," replied Nathaniel with a serious face then they shook hands and Ogwyn left.

Eira smiled at him with a wide, mischievous grin. They spent most of that night talking and drinking to pass the time. Nathaniel was enjoying talking to her about himself and she seemed happy to talk about herself too. The more he drank the more he talked and the more he found out about this mysterious beauty. She had long, blonde hair that fell down to her waist, and her eyes were sapphire blue. The hour grew quite late and he found himself feeling quite drowsy. He still had to walk back to the tower and climb the steps to his room. There was nothing else for it but to call it a night. Eira of course protested at his leaving, but she made him promise to visit her again soon, so they could continue their conversation. Nathaniel could not deny her this, almost as if he was under her spell. The streets were much emptier now at the later hour and he leisurely found his way back, wobbling a little until he finally reached the comfort of his bed. Nathaniel went to bed with a smile on his face, although his head could feel the room spinning around him, especially with his eyes shut. Sleep got the better of him and the spinning faded to the background as he passed into a deep slumber.

When he woke the next morning there was a bird perched on his bedpost looking at him curiously. It gave him quite a shock at first but then he saw the small scroll attached at the ankle and realised it was Torstein's falcon. He read the message in a hurry, briefly scanning each line. His eyes passed over the words 'armoured mountain trolls' and he caught his breath reading the message more carefully. It seemed the army was still building but had brought these trolls down from the mountains and prepared them for battle. The city could probably resist a troll attack, depending on the number, but the chances would be slim if they breached the gate, especially with the large goblin host behind them. Nathaniel wrote a quick message on the back, informing him that he will ride out to meet him again in a day or so, with burning questions.

He reattached the message to the bird, which immediately took flight straight out of his window and was flying off into the distance at a swift speed across the countryside. Now he had to wait for Ogwyn to arrange the meeting with chancellor Lydan. He began to look around his room wondering what to do. Martyn was right in a way; it did seem like a prison of sorts. He was unable to return to duty and so he was left to boredom, which was like a prison of the mind. While he had kept himself preoccupied it was not so bad, but these last two days he had so little to do that he often found himself bored whilst he waited. He walked to the window to look over the city, hoping to distract himself for a brief moment. He looked over to the hill and saw the market square slowly coming to life with stalls and shop fronts being set up.