Chapter 22

Daphne

"How would you feel about leaving work a little early to go start packing up your apartment?" Mason asked me while we set up for a meeting.

"I would feel very good," I replied. Mason gave me a quick kiss before I went back to my office.

Mason was meeting with another CEO in the area and didn't need me in there. It was more of an introduction than a business meeting so I wouldn't be of use.

Amy buzzed up to tell me that the CEO was here.

"He's coming up," I let Mason know through the intercom.

"Ok. I love you," he replied and I blushed even though I was the only one that heard.

"You're blushing aren't you."

"Oh shut up."

I blushed even more after that. Mason knew me so well.

I sighed and opened my laptop to get some work done. I hadn't checked my emails in a bit so I figured I'd get them done now.

I was almost through with the emails I needed to respond to when a new one came in. It didn't have a subject line which was odd, but I clicked it open anyways.

Come downstairs if you want your boyfriend to live. You have five minutes sweetling. Better hurry.

And don't think about trying anything. I've got eyes everywhere. One word is all it takes for your precious CEO's life to end.

Oh God. Oh God! He had Mason and it was all my fault. I never should've dragged him into my mess of a life. It was selfish and now he's in danger.

I can't let Mason die. I'd never forgive myself. I started to rush, but forced myself to slow down. I couldn't appear panicked of Mason would die.

"You leaving?" Amy asked and I silently cursed myself for not being more careful. I didn't have a lot of time.

"Yeah. I'm not feeling too good."

"Should I call Mason?"

"No!" I shouted. "I mean, no. Im fine."

I quickly walked away from the from the front desk and out the front door. Where were they? Where were they keeping Mason?

A cloth was pressed against my mouth and nose and I realized too late that I had been tricked.

____________________________________

Mason

"It was nice meeting you Mr. Larson. I look forward to hearing from you in the future."

I relaxed in my chair when he finally left. That man was annoying as hell. Just yammering on and on about God knows what.

"Daph, can you come in here?" I asked through the intercom. I waited for her response but it never came. "Daphne?"

When she still didn't respond I went into her office, but she wasn't there. Her phone was on the desk so she was clearly still here, but where?

"Amy, have you seen Daphne?" I asked through her intercom.

"She left almost an hour ago. Said she didn't feel well."

Why wouldn't she tell me? And why would she leave her phone?

She wouldn't. Daphne never went anywhere without her phone. I called Fred and he said they'd start looking for her. I called Kat and Danny next but neither of them had seen or heard from her.

I was pacing back and forth behind her desk in a complete panic when I tripped and nudged her computer mouse. The screen instantly lit up with an email.

"Fred you need to get here right now. It's an emergency," I called into my phone.