Chapter 12

Daphne

"Blake Chandler has called three times this week and emailed twice, demanding a meeting with you."

I was in Mason's office standing in front of his desk and he groaned into his hands.

"Tell him to leave me the hell alone," he grumbled.

"I have. Several times."

"Then just ignore him. He's just pissed because I cut off interactions between our companies. He needed me a lot more than I needed him."

"Ok," I said simply and went back to my office. I had work to do and Mason kept calling me into his office to say hi. He even came to mine a couple of times when I told him I had work to do.

I went through some emails and responded to the ones that didn't come from Chandler Enterprises.

"There's a flower delivery here for you Daphne," Anna's voice came through the intercom.

"Ok. I'll be right down."

I stood up from my desk and walked over to the elevator. I can't believe Mason sent flowers to work for me. Actually, I can. He's been really sweet to me, even more so now that we're dating.

I walked through the lobby to the reception desk and signed for the flowers. I carried the arrangement of roses up to my office and plucked off the note that was clipped on.

Hello sweetling. Did you miss me? I know I've missed you. I can't wait to see you again.

My heart dropped into my stomach and I felt like I was going to throw up. I didn't think he'd find me this soon. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe there was a different Daphne that works here.

"Anna, is there another Daphne that works here?" I buzzed down to her.

"Nope just you."

Oh God. This isn't good. What am I going to do? He's not going to leave me alone now until he gets me back.

"Who sent flowers?"

My eyes shot up to Mason's and I shoved the note into my desk drawer.

"I- I don't know."

"Weird. There wasn't any card?"

"N- nope," I lied. I knew lying was wrong but I couldn't tell Mason the truth.

"Are you ok?" Mason asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I told him but he didn't look convinced.

"Are you sure? You're pale and sweaty."

"I'm just not feeling my best," I told him and hoped he would drop it.

"I'll drive you home," Mason said and grabbed my bag.

"No, it's ok, I can stay."

"No you can't. You are going to go home and rest."

I sighed and followed Mason out. We got some weird looks on the way out and that's when I realized I was holding Mason's hand. And now half of the office knew we were a couple. This day could not get any worse could it? No. I take that back, it could.

"Mason. We were just holding hands. Everyone saw us."

"It's ok. They were bound to find out sooner or later," he said calmly.

How was he so calm about this? The entire office was going to think I'm a whore who sleeps with her boss. I'm not a whore and I haven't slept with Mason yet.

"It's going to be ok," Mason said and soothingly rubbed my back.

"This day sucks," I groaned and Mason chuckled.

"Let's get you home," he said.

I held Mason's hand the whole drive home and when I got out of the car, I expected him to leave, but instead he walked me upstairs and into my apartment.

"You don't have to stay, I'll be fine," I assured him. I didn't want him to feel obligated or anything.

"I'm staying," he said.

"Are you sure? I know you're busy," I told him.

"Are you trying to get rid of me?"

"No. I just don't want to be a burden."

Mason walked over to me and held my face in his hands.

"You, my dear, could never be a burden."

My heart melted and I leaned into Mason for a hug. I didn't deserve him. He was so great and I had just lied to him. I was lying to him so I wouldn't lose him. Mason was sweet and I was selfish.

"Why don't you go change into something comfy and I'll make you some soup?" Mason asked and I nodded.

I went to my room and changed into an oversized t-shirt and a pair of pajama pants. I knew Mason didn't care what I looked like. He was good like that.

And then I felt a stab of pain in my heart. I was no good for him. I should let him go. The right thing would be to let him go. But could I do that? I don't think I'm strong enough.

"Soup's ready!" Mason called from the kitchen and I padded out. Mason slid me a bowl of soup and sat down next to me.

"Thank you," I told him.

"Of course."

I ate the soup even though I was still nauseous because I knew I had to eat even though I didn't want to. The soup was good, but i just felt so not. Mason washed my bowl and the pot and I felt bad once again. I should be doing that, not him. He shouldn't have to take care of me.

"I'm sorry," I said and put my face in my hands.

"What's wrong?" Mason said and lifted my head up to see tears rolling down. He looked so concerned and that only made me cry harder.

Mason scooped me up and brought me over to the couch where he sat me down on his lap.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"Doing what?"

"Being so good to me!" I cried. "I'm no good for you. I don't deserve you, but you treat me like a princess and I'm selfish and not letting you go."

"What are you talking about?" Mason asked and looked me in the eye. "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. If anything, I don't deserve you. You are so sweet and caring, not to mention gorgeous. I was all mean and scary before you came along. I still am sometimes but you changed me. I am so lucky to have you Daph. You don't know how amazing you are. You are perfect."

"No I'm not."

"You are to me," Mason said and kissed the top of my head. He held me there until my tears dried and my breathing slowed. Then he carried me to my bed and laid down with me. I fell asleep in his arms feeling truly cared for. Something I hadn't felt in a long time.