Chapter 4

Daphne

Ok. Sleeping in a bed was really nice, but while I was up in the middle of the night again I started thinking. No one breaks into apartments to give people stuff. That just doesn't happen. And that means that this stuff must've been delivered to the wrong apartment. And that means I accidentally stole someone's entire apartment. What am I supposed to do now? I can't go to jail, but how do I return this when I don't even know who it actually belongs to! Do I go door to door around the building? Do I put up flyers?

I debated this the whole way to work and I really wish I had a friend I could talk to about this. I haven't met anyone in Boston yet that doesn't work at Zolar Inc.

I glumly walked through the front door and was about to pass by reception when I saw Amy. Maybe I could talk to her about this. I walked up to the front desk and waited for Amy to be done on the phone.

"Hi Daphne, what can I do for you?" she asked in a cheery voice.

"I need some advice."

"Ok, tell me what's up."

I told Amy the whole apartment fiasco and how I didn't know what to do about it. When I finished, Amy just giggled.

"What's so funny?" I asked her.

"You are adorable," she said. "You didn't steal any furniture and no one accidentally gave it to you."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because Mr. Zolar had me place the order with the furniture store," she giggled again as if it were an obvious thing to happen.

"Why did he buy me furniture?"

The phone rang so Amy answered me with a shrug and picked up the phone. Now I had a new dilemma. Why would my boss buy me an apartment's worth of furniture?

I rode up to the top floor and decided to be brave and ask him. I knocked on the door and entered when I heard the "come in".

"I don't mean to sound rude, but why did you buy me an apartment's worth of furniture?" I asked Mason. He looked up from his desk, clearly not expecting that question.

"Because you had no furniture," he stated matter of factly.

"How did you know that?" I asked. Was he spying on me? Maybe he was telepathic. No, no one was telepathic.

"I saw when I stopped by your apartment the other day."

Oh. That makes much more sense.

"Oh. Well, thank you. I'll pay you back as soon as I can," I assured him.

"No." He wasn't even looking at me. He was focused on his computer screen.

"Excuse me?"

"I said no. You're not paying me back."

"Why not?" I asked and he finally looked up.

"Because I don't want you to."

"But I have to," I told him. "I can't just take your money like that. I have to pay you back."

"You don't and you won't," Mason said, simply.

I sighed, clearly he wasn't going to budge on this and I didn't want to upset him.

"Well thank you. I really appreciate it."

I went to my office and got started on today's work, but I still couldn't comprehend why Mason would spend all that money on me. I wasn't anyone special, just his assistant. Why would he care?

I decided to put some money aside with every paycheck I get in case he changes his mind and wants me to pay him back. I don't want to owe him anything later on.

____________________________________

Mason

I found it kind of cute when Daphne insisted on paying me back for the furniture. I don't know why she was so set on paying me back, it was no big deal. She didn't have the money and I had more than enough, simple.

My phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. The caller ID told me it was my dad so I knew I had to pick up.

"Hi dad."

"Hello son," he greeted me.

"Do you need something?" I asked.

"Your mother and I are hosting a charity event in two weeks and you are to attend."

"I got the invite," I told him. It came in the mail last month. I'm pretty sure i threw it away.

"You didn't RSVP."

"I'm not coming."

"Yes you are and that's final," my dad scolded me.

"I'm very busy right now dad, I don't have the time."

"Well make the damn time! Your mother will be very upset if you don't show up. You have two tickets, use them."

My father hung up and I sighed, rubbing my hands over my face. I hated these events. I'd much rather write a check from the comfort of my own home than in a ballroom in New York. But I couldn't disappoint my mother. She has been nagging me to come visit and I've always come up with excuses. I'll have to go this time whether I like it or not. I'll just have to find a way to make it more enjoyable. He did say I had two tickets...

"Daphne can you come in here?" I asked through the phone.

In less than two minutes there was a knock on the door and Daphne walked in.

"You needed me?" she asked in her soft, angelic voice.

I cleared my throat, "Yes. I have to attend a charity event in New York in two weeks and you will be coming with me."

She looked uncomfortable, like she was holding something back.

"I don't have anything to wear to an event like that," she whispered.

"Don't worry about that. I'll handle everything."

"Oh, ok. Thank you," she said before returning to her office. Suddenly, I couldn't wait to go to New York.