"Thank you." I smile at him, a real smile this time, but he seems to be in a trance of some kind, so I repeat louder. "Thank y-you, for caring enough b-back then. And for being honest with me now."

"You're welcome." He grins before going back to his burger. Silently, we enjoy our food and I find myself getting more comfortable around him than I thought was possible. Maybe I've made the right decision coming back to school after all.

After briefly arguing with him to let me pay my share of the bill, and him refusing, I decide to give him the silent treatment as we walk out of the diner.

"Elle?" Theo frowns when I don't respond. "Ella?"

I keep walking, because I don't even get what's the big deal about sharing a bill. Sure, it's nice when the guy pays and all, but we're not dating. We're barely even friends, so I don't get it. And I'm mad because he made it seem like I was somehow stabbing his manhood with a fork when I offered.

"Ella, come on. Please don't ignore me." He whines and even though he sounds too cute for me to handle I know I have to stand my ground. Especially if I plan on becoming friends with him. Which is now something I'm surprised to admit I'm not totally opposed to. I'm kind of eager to know him better.

"Angel, please." He whispers and I stop walking when the sweet nickname makes my heart skip a beat. "Don't be mad at me."

"I w-wanted to pay for myself." I mumble.

"And I wanted to pay for you." He grins childishly and I feel like punching him, although his jawline looks sharp enough to break my knuckles.

"Why?" I cross my arms and tap my foot.

Standing straighter, he scratches the back of his head nervously. "Can I not answer that? I promised to be honest, so if you want an answer, I'll give you an honest one. But for your sake, I suggest you let me have a pass every once in a while."

Narrowing my eyes at time I make sure I understood him right. "You want to have a pass to some of the questions I ask?"

Theo grins so wide I'm afriad his face might break. What's wrong with him? "Theo?"

"What?" He shakes his head, getting rid of whatever thoughts were swarming in there, and when he remembers my earlier question, he nods his head. "Yes, I'd like to have a pass please. Let's say three passes a day? You ask a lot of questions, you know?"

I stare at him unblinkingly for a moment. If we just made a rule to be honest, then why does he want to not be honest? "Why do you want to have three passes a d-day?"

He chuckles in amusement, probably because I can't stop asking question. Meeting my gray eyes with his ocean blue ones, he gives me a soft smile, one that makes me feel too safe with him that a warm shiver runs down my spine and consumes my veins. "I just don't want to overwhelm you, Ella."

I scowl because I don't know what that means. Huffing in annoyance I almost stomp my foot at his vague answers. "Why did you want to pay my share, Theo?"

He grins again, as wide and bright as the last time. "Because I want to spoil you a little. Not a big deal."

I stupidly blink at him again. Do friends spoil each other? I guess so. Cassandra and I always used to do that, back when we used to be friends.

Shaking my thoughts away, I sigh and resume walking. "You're weird."

Theo chuckles again, following me. "It's honestly not a big deal. You know what? There's an ice cream truck right there. Look." He points to my right and I find one indeed. "How about we grab two cones and I'll let you pay for both? Will you forgive me then?"