Go

⁂⁂⁂

⁂⁂⁂

Holy, serene, peaceful-- that's the kind of ambience you'll get when you got to go to church. The first mass just ended. The sound of the huge bell echoed in the high walls in the inside of the church, making birds fly in and out of the open high windows. A lot of churchgoers are lining up for the exit that's why it's a little cramp now, making me feel claustrophobic. Thankfully, a hand grabbed me away from the crowd, it was Pluto's.

Naghintay kami ng ilang minuto bago lumuwag ang pintuan, that's when we got a chance to come out. A lot of sampaguita vendors approached us as we step on the cold cement floor infront of the church.

"Sir, bili na po kayo," a girl, on the age of 12 I think, approached me holding a bunch of sampaguita flowers turned into garlands. On the other side of her hand is a boy younger than her, maybe his brother.

I turned to Pluto, not knowing what to do. But a lot of vendors are also drawn into him. He just smiled at them and got his wallet. Then maybe, I should do the same.

"M-magkano ang isa?" tanong ko sa batang babae.

"Bente pesos lang po, sir. Matagal po mawala 'yang bango niyan, sulit na sulit po ang bente niyo." This kid had skills on business, I'm surprised.

"Saan ko 'to pwedeng ilagay?"

"Sa altar niyo po, sir. Pwede rin pong isabit niyo kay Mama Mary doon." She pointed the statue of Virgin Mary near the small fountain.

"Sa tingin mo, ilan ang dapat kong isabit sa kaniya?"

"Dalawa po, sir." She said, picking the garland she'll give to me. "Kaso sir, baka po magtampo ang ibang mga santo kung si Mama Mary lang ang bibigyan mo."

I sneered, this kid knows what she's doing.

"Sige, bibili ako ng lima." I handed her a 100-peso bill. Her eyes twinkled as she saw the purple paper bill.

"Sir, hindi mo po bibigyan ang mama mo?" Humirit pa nga.

"My mom is allergic to sampaguitas, eh."

Her eyes widen, hands on her mouth, like she's acting surprise. "Swerte mo naman po, sir." She pulled another kind of garland from her brother and turned to me. "Saktong-sakto po, may kalatsutsi kami. Habang buhay pong magiging mabango ang bahay niyo dahil dito."

I squinted my eyes at her. "Really?"

"Joke lang po, sir. Nalalanta po iyan." She giggled. She handed me another couple of what she called kalatsutsi. She looks happy that she sold a lot in just one person. She even waved her hand at me before leaving.

Napatingin naman ako sa kamay kong puro garlands ang hawak. I heard a laugh from behind.

"Looks like I'm not the only one," Pluto said. He's also holding a bunch of flower garlands like mine. But his looks a lot more than mine.