10 | Cursed

//cursed// 

"Who's Fate?" I demanded of Jack as soon as I was on my own two feet again.

"Ah, Kahla," grumbled the crocodile. His yellow eyes flashed toward Nissa, who took to feeding Gaia and the young dizayen she'd ridden. "That Sprite's got a mouth on 'er, the lava head."

No way was he wrestling his way out of it this time. I refused to let anyone evade my questions anymore. As the future ruler of Eternity, I deserved some answers for once.

"Jack," I said, grinding my teeth, "who . . . is . . . Fate?"

He snorted, crossing his arms. He couldn't look me in the eye, choosing to glance to his left instead. "She runs the prison."

My eyes widened. My fists unclenched as curiosity replaced my previous ire. "She's a warden? A warden can punish people?"

He cast Nissa an irritated glare. His nostrils flared. I guess I wasn't supposed to know about Fate. He said, "Yeah. I mean, she's like the final line. The ultimate word. It's only for major crimes. Like, she ain't gonna come after my hide. And you shouldn't tangle yourself up with 'er either, bean sprout."

So she was like a supreme justice. And apparently, she had deemed it necessary to punish King Hadeth and Prince Rune for the Queen's crimes. Well, Fate was about to receive a petition. I'd reverse her ruling.

Nissa flitted beside us as we meandered down the stairs. I gave her a strained smile, saying, "Thank you, Nissa. Both for letting me fly Gaia and for telling me about Fate's curse."

She snuck a glance at Jack, who grumbled by my side. She said, "Gaia's wings need stretchin'. And it's good to get you two bondin'. And sorry, about the curse."

A part of me thought she'd apologized to Jack. But I brushed it aside with a flick of my wrist. "No, thank you, seriously. You've been the most helpful out of everyone. I appreciate it."

At the bottom of the staircase, where the crowds bustled and bought and bartered, we said goodbye. I hooked a finger in one of Jack's holsters. Together, we wound our way through the shoulder-squished throngs. At the border, he removed his largest gun and let me crawl onto his back.

The laidback air with which we'd arrived at the Western Wind Cities did not accompany us back to the castle. While free-falling and swinging through the trees sent adrenaline through my veins, no laughter ensued. Tension bloated between us.

Was Fate meant to be yet another mystery, another secret? Had all of Eternity been given instructions to keep me in the dark? Was I not allowed to know about the dark corners of my new home?

When we landed on the other side of the forest, I regarded Jack. Back stiff, he holstered his guns and looped his ropes about his arm. It seemed odd that my knowing about Fate would put him off so much. He had little respect for the governmental body and its policies. If the secret of Fate were one of these policies, Jack wouldn't care like this—and he'd tell me exactly that.

"Jack?" I started, fiddling with the hem of my shirt.

He grunted in acknowledgment but neither looked at me nor slowed his steps.

I dove anyway. "Am I not supposed to know about Fate?"

That got him to stop. "No. You can know about 'er. Just don' get tangled up with 'er."

"Jack," I implored.

He finally caught on that I knew there was something he wasn't telling me. Sighing, he pivoted and pinned me with a hard look. "Fate's dangerous. Not to be trifled with. And I know you, bean sprout. You're gonna try. Don't. Let it alone. Let Fate alone. Got it?"