1

The forest of Nallamala was nature's unreserved bounty. That natural bounty itself was also a problem. Wild animals moved about everywhere.

Narada breathed heavily, chanting "Narayana... Narayana..." as fear passed through him. Wild animals couldn't be blamed if they attacked him. Not that he carried any safety equipment to ensure his survival. Ignoring his complaints, his father, Brahma, ordered him away to go find Narayana.

The middle of the forest was not a safe place. Narada's ears caught the sound of rustling leaves. A feeling filled his throat. Like he was close to being hunted. A flash of an ear caught his eyes. Wolf's ear. Sure, it had to be Wolves he encounters. It couldn't be any other animal. Wolves, who are notorious for their habit of eating anything they wish. Not like the rules of Vedas which offered protection to a Sanyasi was any authority to these animals. They followed only the rule of the jungle. Hunt anything that you can hunt and eat as per your hunger.

Soon enough, Narada realised that he was surrounded by the pack. "Narayana, any minute now. You can make your appearance any minute now." He muttered to himself.

The wolves finally made themselves visible, having surrounded him. Deadly silent.

A sound alerted the wolves. The ears perched up. The sound of a bull horn. The sound forced the wolves to take off. Narada looked around and found a group of men showing up. Tribals. No wonder the wolves ran away. The most formidable predators of the hills were the tribe.

"What is a Sanyasi doing here in the forest, saami?" One of them asked, casually leaning on his bow. "Don't you know the wild animals that live here?"

"Must have lost his way in here. You're far away from the entrance of the forest. Come stay with us by the penta and then in the morning you can return. It is now, almost evening. The hunts will become more frequent. Come."

Narada was just saved by them and a place to hide for the night seemed like a good idea. Nodding his head he followed them.

"Saami, if you don't mind us asking, why did you decide this life for yourself? Abandoning everything. Not even experiencing the happiness of family life or a social life." Another one of them asked him.

"I have been a brahmachari since my birth. It is my own choice. I find no greater pleasure than to experience Hari nama kirtana. To spread the greatness of Narayana is all I find happiness in. The samsara is no less different than a life of forest. You are always in the danger of being captured by the binds of society, the predatory senses always bring a person into trouble. The circle of life, death and rebirth goes one without an end in this samsara. There is no growth stuck in this cycle. So, I have taken the refugee of that great lord with dark skin."

The men chuckled.

"You don't believe in the power of love."

"Oh.. why not? I sure do but the only love I personally find pleasure in is the love I receive back from that Vaikuntha Nath. Who else knows love better than him?"

"Ohooo... If he loves you so much why did he send you to be eaten by the wolves?"

"Wasn't it him who sent you to protect me?"

"Saami, you joke well. No one sent. We were just moving around when we saw you. Then Padhu commented that he has heard that such a kind of clothing is only worn by Sanyasi. So we proceeded to help you out." One of them answered.

"Oh, how did you suddenly remember that kaashaya vastra is worn by Sanyasi?"

"My brain, saami." The tribal named Padhu answered.

"How did your brain suddenly remember it? How many times have you seen a Sanyasi?"

"Just once when I was four."