Chapter One

Chapter One

"Higher."

"I'm already high enough."

"He's 6'2, go higher," Shasmeen insisted, directing her younger brother from the bottom of the ladder.

"Api, if I go any higher, I'm going to hit my head," Talha protested, dusting the top of the fridge.

The chances of Jamshed coming into the kitchen and swiping his finger over the counters, top of the fridge, and chute of the cooking range, were very slim, but Shasmeen was not going to take any chances.

After eight long months of talking through their parents, getting to know each other's families, and exchanging photographs over Eids and family weddings and vacations, they were finally going to physically meet that evening and decide on the dates for the wedding.

"Shasmeen!" Her mother stormed in, clutching her cell phone. "Khala wants to talk to you." She turned towards Talha, "Beta, go shower, they're on their way. Hurry! Hurry!"

"Rehma khala, Assalamualykum," Shasmeen whispered into the phone, dipping out of the kitchen.

"Wa'alykum Salaam jaan, how do you feel?"

"I don't know, khala. Kuch kuch ho raha hai," she confessed, sliding open the door to the backyard.

The afternoon sky was slowly turning dark with gray clouds. It had been hot the entire week, a little rain would do them some good, she thought.

"Allah madad karayn gay," Rehma khala assured. "You be yourself, and leave the rest to the best." There was chatter in the background, after which she said, "Sumbal wants to talk to you too."

"Meena baji! Send me the pic of the ring as soon as you put it on," her fourteen year old cousin exclaimed.

"I will, I will." Butterflies swirled in Shasmeen's stomach. She had been praying for this moment for months. All through Ramadan she had prayed for him, his exams, and their future together. She had told all her cousins and family friends and even her Uncle Bilal's neighbors in Pakistan about Jamshed. She had bought bedsheets and fridge magnets from Europe for their marital home. They were going to meet, marry, and then be the perfect couple.

Shasmeen's cell phone beeped in the kitchen, announcing a text message from her best friend Abeer. The distinct royal fanfare tune was reserved for her.

"I have to go, I'll keep you guys updated," she quickly announced, ending with a Salaam and returning inside.

Recite the Mu'awwidhatayn, cuz I know you'll be looking gorgeous. Abeer's text message read.

If she hadn't been in Atlanta visiting her in-laws, Shasmeen knew her best friend would be sitting in on the marriage meeting that evening.

Yes ma'am.

I love youAbeer said, ending with half a dozen emojis.

I love you was all you needed sometimes, because not only did it acknowledge that there was someone out there who loved you despite your flaws, your mistakes, your past, and where you stood today, it was also an acknowledgement that whatever were to happen, you would have someone to wipe away your tears and motivate you to start all over again.

Shasmeen sent a I love you too, text before returning to the long list of tasks she had to do before Jamshed's family arrived. They lived nearly three hours away, which wasn't a whole lot, but it was enough to make one visit an entire day's affair—which is exactly why, despite their months' long courtship, it was the first time they were meeting in person.