chapter two

The next day Sue gave me that tour. She also took me shopping and I swear we bought an entire shop out of all their clothes. It turns out I haven't been wearing the right size for ages. At all my last foster homes I got hand me downs and at Renee's I got Bella's old stuff so all the socks, undies, shoes, and pants I had were the wrong size. Kinda makes sense.

Sue says I have to start school next month, she got kinda mad when I told her I'd never really been to a proper school before, but she said she'd figure it out. Sue might be the smartest person I'd ever met. I explained to her that I had been home schooled, so I basically just taught myself everything by reading books.

When we got home, we'd done so much I felt like I might pass out. We walked for miles around the shops.

Sue called it the mall but in Australia we never called it that, we called it the shops, Sue laughed whenever I'd said that.

"There's my favourite girls. Had a good day?"

"I think so, what about you Osch had fun?" Sue had taken to calling me Osch, a nickname, I guess. I liked it.

"Mhm, we went to the shops. We bought everything. Even computers. And small computers."

"Phones Hun. We bought you a phone." Oh, so that's what that was called.

"Mhm, we got a yellow one." I said distractedly as I played something called Candy Crush. We didn't have phones in the psych ward, we had old communal computers, but not phones. And at Renee's anything I had I had to buy from my part time job.

"Most of the stuff we got was yellow." Sue laughed, "Why don't you start decorating your room the way you want whilst I talk to Charlie and get ready for the barbeque."

"The boys brought around a few bits of furniture and a better mattress, and we painted the walls so hopefully you like it." Charlie told me as he helped me bring everything upstairs.

This room is without a doubt one of the biggest rooms I had ever been in. With sliding barn doors as an entrance, I looked around in awe.

Every wall bar one was painted sunflower yellow. A beautiful, but not too bright shade that I hoped to stare at for the rest of my life. The wall accompanying the plain white door was painted pastel sage green, a gorgeous compliment to the yellow.

In one corner of the room laid my bed. A mattress atop 8 placed and stacked wooden pallets. I stared decorating by making the bed. Simple yellow cotton sheets with a pink doona cover and pink and yellow pillow covers.

Next was the small desk next to the bed. I hung the four, yes four, mirrors we had bought, and started unloading the desktop accessories as well as the desktop computer.

Next was the bedside tables coupled with a few of their own accessories, a scent diffuser, a lamp, and a few plants. I then moved on to the two armchairs in the room, one facing out the wall of windows and the other near the desk. I placed the pretty yellow blankets we bought on each of them.

Next was the centre tables, wooden and glass tables atop the yellow and green rugs we had bought laid in the middle of the room. A few books I was interested in reading went on top of those as well as more plants. We also bought a few crates filled with flowers and plants, those went by the windows, along with the watering can.

Next was the vanity and unloading the mountains of clothes into the wardrobe and shoes into the shoe cupboard. The last thing that needed placing was the yellow curtains we had brought to cover the windows.

When all was said and done, I looked around, the afternoon sun hitting the freshly painted walls. I had never really had a place to call home before never really felt welcomed anywhere long enough to feel like home, but this place. With these people. This was home. An undeniable feeling of fear washed over me. I had been here two days and I already felt more comfortable than any place I had been to before. That's terrifying.