Chapter 93

They went after the nightwalkers first thing in the morning.

As soon as Elena walked through the door, Klaus and Maddy dashed off. They knew that Greta stayed with the nightwalkers, usually, despite the fact she had a daylight ring.

"Rise and shine, Nightwalker Nation," said Klaus the instant Maddy kicked open the door of the penthouse the nightwalkers usually stayed in. They all leapt up, startled at the noise. "If your aim was to get my attention, then I must say you've been wildly successful."

"Get up," said Maddy loudly, yanking the curtains open and causing them all to scatter into the back corner of the room, the only place where there was shade. "Aw, how convenient, they're already packed together like sardines for us to pluck up." She knelt down and sneered into the face of the one nearest her. "Some of you were involved in the kidnapping of Hayley Marshall-Kenner and Tyler Lockwood, as well as the murder of Henry Benoit. Admit to us who it was, and those who are innocent can go free."

No one spoke up. Maddy didn't see Greta's face in the crowd, though she figured, based on the bedroom door nearby, that maybe there were more vampires hiding in there.

Klaus held up the coin that had been sent with the mutilated bits of Hayley and Tyler. "Whomever sent this... it's time to show your face. Otherwise, we will begin to tear through the lot of you until the guilty party steps up."

"Nothing?" said Maddy, tapping her foot impatient. "Okay." She yanked one vampire up, ripping his heart out and tossing the organ to Klaus, who took a bite out of it and spit it in the face of a vampire who was glaring at him. "What about you, sweetheart, hmm?"

The vampire shook his head. "I don't know anything."

"Now that's a fib, isn't it?" Klaus tossed him into the sunlight, and he was unable to get up before he was lit on fire. "This would mark your very last opportunity to confess." He tossed the coin aside when no one spoke up, and he and Maddy converged on the remaining vampires, ripping off heads and hearts until a clattering noise let them know someone had picked up the coin.

Greta.

"It's me you're looking for," she said, smirking maliciously at them. "Perhaps we should talk."

"Yes, perhaps we should," said Maddy, walking over to her and snapping her neck. "Where should we take her?"

Klaus thought for a moment, before smirking. "Anita is at the house. The Compound's dungeon will be free."

"Perfect."

When Greta woke up, she'd been hung upside down, her arms cut up so that she'd bleed out onto the floor, ridding her of vervain. Klaus and Maddy could both smell it as it exited her body, indicating she'd taken quite a bit to prepare for this.

"You know," said Klaus, when Greta had not begun speaking, "for someone who organized this little summit, you're woefully short on details."

Greta merely stared. Maddy kicked her in the face, and though the woman let out a grunt of pain, she only spit out the blood in her mouth and remained silent.

"You might as well talk," said Maddy. "You may not break, but we'll gladly torture you until the very last drop of vervain is out of your system, then you'll have to tell us anyway. You might as well admit it. Save yourself the pain. I'll give you a quick death." She leaned down. "Where are Hayley and Tyler?"

The woman pretended she hadn't even heard her. Out of frustration, Klaus yanked her off of the wall, turning her so she was sitting, and using the thick nails at the end of the chains to pin her hands to the stone beneath her, eliciting a yelp. "You knew we'd have this little chat," he said. "No doubt you binged on vervain til your throat was red and raw. And now, sadly, drip, drip, drip... all over the floor it goes. I suggest you answer my wife's question."