Chapter 55

Maddy couldn't even participate in the search.

Klaus claimed he was going to be doing business with the wolves before he decided to go after Mikael and Davina. Elijah was going to find Kol, to reveal to him that Bonnie was alive so that he would join their side and abandon Esther.

"I can't just sit here," said Maddy miserably to Jo as she was leaving for her next shift. "What am I supposed to do?"

Jo held up her fingers to count. "Yoga, reading, binge-watching a show on that gigantic television in your boyfriend's room. There are actually many things you can do to relax and enjoy your time alone. You're so used to helping and constantly being available to help the people that you care about that you don't even know how to entertain yourself."

Maddy huffed. "Well it was easier to help other people, at least then it felt like I was actually doing something."

"You can do whatever you want as long as you don't leave the house and don't hurt yourself. If you really want to help then I'll email you some patient data I need sorted into a spreadsheet."

This didn't sound like fun but Maddy accepted because at least then she'd have a set task. She knew Jo needed the help right now. It seemed like she was burying herself in work while she waited to see if Kai came after her or not.

She gave up pretty quickly on the stupid spreadsheet. She texted her brothers, asking if they knew anyone with coding skills who could tell her what to do so that the computer would organize everything by itself. She made a mental note to learn coding once she was a vampire again and more easily able to retain information.

Instead, she started to scroll through every app on her phone, trying to learn something new or just get lost in a series of random video clips about home renovations that she would never actually do.

This led her to find something rather curious.

"Hmm," she said, seeing her list of 'suggested' accounts to follow. Likely the people in her area, or those whose contacts she had. She noticed something about 'French Quarter Witches,' an account that most people only seemed to follow because they wanted to believe magic was real (given the fact they thought it could only be a fantasy).

On the account were many pictures of the fake palm reading witches giving out fortunes and tricking people to pay a lot of something that wasn't even true. What caught her eye was one picture from four months ago, where the 'Harvest girls' stood reunited.

Maddy recalled Klaus telling her that the Harvest girls had been announced to society through a small parade/festival for the tourists. In the photo were four girls— Davina, Cassie, and two others that Maddy didn't recognize, but had heard of. One of them was the niece of two Deveraux witches who fled the instant they heard about what the Guerreras had done to the Mikaelsons.

"What do we have here?" she whispered to herself, zooming into the background and seeing the familiar face that Finn currently bore. Beside him was a younger male. The two stood close enough together that it was clear they knew each other.

She zoomed into the young boy's face, taking a screenshot before sending it to Hayley. "Know who this is?" she asked. "Research purposes."

"Nope," Hayley replied. "But I can find out for you. Give me ten minutes."

Maddy assumed that Hayley must have gone around to ask some of the teenage wolves because not long after, she was told the boy's name was 'Kaleb Westphall.'

She searched him up on Instagram and found an account that hadn't posted in four months. Fit the timeline well. From what she could find in his random captions and awfully cheesy selfies, he'd been on his own for awhile. Made sense Esther would pick a loner to host Kol— any behavioral changes wouldn't be noticed. Kaleb had four followers and they were all random spam accounts.