"Ms. Ahn, where were you around 3:15 in the afternoon today?"

The question came out as a shock to Heiran's befuddled mind and suddenly, it was as if she had lost her voice. Her fingers curled into fists as her heart began to race. No, no, calm down, Heiran, she told herself, you did nothing wrong. Just tell them the truth.

But her lips wouldn't move and her tongue felt heavy. Heiran had a hard time forming the right words. At her prolonged silence, the officer raised an inquisitive eyebrow and the building pressure only made it worse. Why can't you just tell the truth, Heiran? Just say it.

"She was at the Central Regional Hospital at 3:15. The hospital staff and Officer Kang Taemin can confirm them for you. Ms. Ahn and I left the hospital around 4:45 and reached the apartment at maybe a quarter past 5. If you want to confirm that, I can get my car's black box recording—"

"That's not necessary. I believe you, prosecutor. As I said, we just have to follow the rules."

Jungkook calmly shook his head, "I understand. Keep up the good work."

The officer nodded. Taking a quick wary glance at Heiran, he walked away. She released a sigh of relief. Jungkook's arm came to envelop her shoulders in a tight hold. "Hey, this is not your fault. Snap out of it."

Heiran could only muster a half-hearted response as her mind bounced around all the different scenarios that could make sense of her situation. It was impossible. This was just not right.

A small group of neighbors had grown around the radius of her door, whispering among themselves as she stood rooted to the spot but all Heiran could focus on was the body in the apartment. And then, she felt it. A gust of wind blew from her apartment window.

Heiran's eyes snapped up to the open window in her living room and rushed up to it. Clutching the sill, she stared down at the ground a few feet below in revelation. A memory flashed through her mind.

"Your window. It was open, Prosecutor. You should keep them closed at night. I always tell Dan Ho to do so.

You can't trust anyone nowadays."

* * *

"No, you don't have to come to get me, Yoongi. Stay with your mom."

After a pause of deep contemplation, Yoongi sighed out loud, worry oozing from his tone. "Fine, Heiran. I'll explain everything to Aunt Yongseo but you're completely sure you're alright?"

"I am," Heiran affirmed but her voice suggested otherwise and she knew Yoongi would pick up on it.

"Just stay safe. Where are you by the way? You can't stay in that house."

"I'm... I'm at Prosecutor Jeon's home. He offered to let me stay here."

"... alright. Stay where you feel safe, Heiran. Contact me if anything comes up. I'll come get you."

"Thanks, Yoongi." Yoongi was silent for a while as she softly muttered thanks. Finally, his voice rasped in a hum of acceptance.

"Don't get hurt, Rannie."

The call ended, flashing the call duration on her phone just as there was a knock on the door and Jungkook's voice floated in.

"Ahn?"

Lifting herself off the bed, Heiran took a deep breath, pushed her blonde waves back, and assumed a normal expression. She hoped that Jungkook wouldn't be able to see right through her like Yoongi did as she pulled open the door.