26. Jordi Gets a Visitor

What a strange day. First Dustin drags me to that car wash, then there was that amazing time spent with Seth just chatting about whatever. Until his imminent shutdown. I still don't know what to make of it. I like him, but not when he acts like that. What was that anyway?

I shake my head and wander to the kitchen. "Any requests for dinner, Dad?"

He looks up from the desktop computer in the corner of the apartment. "Hamburgers?"

I laugh at the boyish, hopeful look in his eyes. "How about lettuce-wrapped turkey burgers?"

"Lettuce-wrapped turkey cheeseburgers?" he counters.

"Deal." I grin and take the ground turkey out of the fridge.

I'm pulling spices out of the cabinet when the intercom by the front door buzzes. Dad and I look at each other quizzically, silently asking if the other is expecting visitors. Because no one ever really visits us. Mom was the social one. Maybe it's a neighbor.

"I'll get it," he says, rising from the chair.

It buzzes again.

"Keep your panties on, I'm coming!" He ambles to the intercom and pushes the button. "Yeah?"

The voice on the other end is hesitant. "Um, does Jordi live there?"

The hair on the back of my neck prickles. I know that voice...

"Who wants to know?" Dad asks, glancing at me.

"Um, my name is Seth. I'm sorry to bother you, sir. I just really need to talk to Jordi."

Dad raises his eyebrows at me.

What is Seth doing here? "H-he's a new friend. I'll go down."

"He can come up. I'd like to meet this new friend." Before I can protest, he presses the button to unlock the front gate of the complex and says into the speaker, "Up the elevator. Two-oh-six." Then he opens the front door and leans against the frame, arms crossed.

"Dad, what are you doing?" I'm horrified that Seth's first impression of my dad is going to be this overeager bodyguard version him.

"I'm screening your gentleman callers. It's in my Daddy Handbook." He rolls his shoulders and refolds his arms, as if readying himself for a boxing match. "Although I must say, he's a lot more polite than that Dustin fella."

"Dad, you look like a hippie bouncer. Also, gentleman callers? What century are we in?"

I hear the elevator ding down the hall, then the slap of sneakers running across linoleum. "Two-oh-six. Two-oh-six. Two-oh—" Seth comes to a screeching halt at the front door, eyes fixed on my father's imposing presence. "Um, hi."

His eyes are round with intimidation. They flick over Dad's shoulder to the number on the door, then drift over to me. A brief smile flickers over his face before he turns his attention back to Dad. "Um, Mr. McKay?"

He narrows his eyes at Seth, who leans away from him slightly.

Seth clears his throat. "I, um, apologize for the intrusion, sir. I realize I came uninvited, but I sort of..." He gives me an imploring stare, hoping for a rescue.

I consider telling Dad to back off, but I'm intensely curious to know what Seth is trying to say. Why is he here?

I fold my arms too.

A frightened look passes over his features before he clears his throat again. "I'm kind of having a personal crisis." He jerks his eyes back to my father. "Sir."

Dad tilts his head for a moment, then finally relents with a smile. "Nice to meet you, Seth. I like this one," he says to me. "The way he treats your parents is the way a guy is going to treat you. You could do worse. And you have."

My face gets warm. "Dad! We're just friends."

"All right, all right. Seth," he pumps Seth's hand. "Call me Dave. You may enter." He bows with an  excruciatinglygrand flourish.

I roll my eyes and tug Seth's hand, retreating to my room before my father can embarrass me further.

"I'll take care of dinner then, shall I?" Dad shouts from the kitchen. "Right. Door stays open!"

I blush again and pulled out a chair for Seth before seating myself on the bed. "What's the big emergency? And how did you find me?" I hear the annoyance in my voice. The way we left things earlier, I didn't think I'd see him again. And now he's being all dramatic and showing up at my doorstep. I feel like I'm in some kind of teen movie.

"Persistence," he replies. "I found you by pressing all the buttons one by one, asking for you until I found you."

My eyebrows shoot up. That is persistent. "And now that you've found me..."

"I'm so sorry. I was a complete tool. I was so mad at myself when I got home." He scrubs a hand over his face. "I blew up at my mom. I blamed her for being the loser I am today. I said things I shouldn't have." His eyes roam the beige carpet as he relives the moment. "I'm such a horrible son."

I'm touched that he came to confide in me, but I can't figure out why he did. Isn't Tai his best friend?

He runs a hand through his dark hair, making it spike up in places. "I biked straight over here because I had to tell you why I'm so screwed up. Why I got all weird on you earlier. And I can't do it over the phone because I'm terrible on the phone. What happened today isn't on you. It's me. I flipped out. I'm an insecure mess, and I always will be. I was raised to be a mama's boy, and I'll never be that assertive, hunky guy you deserve. I'm a sad version of what a man is supposed to be, and no matter how—"

I've heard enough. I cross the four feet that separate us and silence him by touching my fingertips against his lips. His warm lips. "Seth, it's okay. We're all screwed up."

His mouth twists into a sardonic shape when I pull my hand away. "You are far from screwed up."

I sit beside him and sigh, wanting to comfort him, but not wanting to reveal just how screwed up I am. "You don't know me yet. Not really."

He captures my hands in his and looks deep into my eyes. "I know enough."

When was the last time anyone looked at me this way? With admiration. Adoration. Sincerity. The intensity in his eyes nearly undoes me.

"What do you know?" I whisper across the short distance between us.

"I know you have good taste in music and television," he says softly. "I know you dress for comfort but still look good in everything you wear. I know I make you laugh. That part is probably my favorite. You laugh when I'm trying to be funny, but somehow I know you'd never laugh at me."

His candor is so sweet and appealing, and at the same time I get the sense that he's not feeding me lines. Seth doesn't play games.

He continues gazing at me with those intense brown eyes, unabashed. Awkward Seth is cute, but this version of him—with wonder and yearning radiating from his depths—I'm lost in it. It crowds out all my doubts and failings.

He makes me feel like a normal girl.

A desirable girl.

I lean in, bending my head toward him.

Closer.

Closer. Our eyes unwavering. Breath mingling.

Contact.

I close my eyes.

Nothing else exists except this very moment.

This.

Eeeeeeeeeeee! Don't forget to vote. Eeeeeeeeee!