39 - Reasonable Belief

Start from the beginning

Pam and Marcus stare at each other with animosity but remain silent.

"OK, that's better." Mitchellson sighs. "Now - I am only concerned if Mr. Cortez is biased or not." She rubs her chin, there isn't a sound. Pam is unusually tense and I realize that this ruling could make or break my chances of winning. Instinctively, I hold my breath, my hands balled to tight fists.

After what seems to be like a really long time, Judge Mitchellson speaks again.

"I usually would not substitute a juror that late in the trial but I believe that Mr. Cortez has not been as forthcoming as he should have which shows to at least some degree that he was trying to hide the truth. I cannot determine if he is biased but will rule on the side of caution. Juror number five is hereby excused for cause and will be substituted...," she looks at her list. "Juror number fifteen - Miles Tumis."

Pam takes in a sharp breath. "But your honor...."

Mitchellson raises her hand and cuts her off. "Save it, counselor. I know you were hoping for one of the women substitutes but I agree with Mr. Forrester that this new development could not have come at a more opportune time for the defense. You get your dismissal of juror number five and Mr. Forrester gets the same jury make up as before. That's only fair under the circumstances unless you are now claiming that a man would not be a suitable replacement."

Pam's eyes narrow slightly. "Of course not, your honor."

Mitchellson beams at the two lawyers. "Excellent. That's settled then. Let's proceed and bring the jury in."

As soon as the jury has taken their seats, Judge Mitchellson addresses Mr. Cortez.

"I have decided that it would be best to substitute you which, by all means, should not be taken as a finding of guilt on the court's behalf." She gives him a courteous smile. "I want to thank you for your services, you are free to go."

The man flushes. "Sure ...."

With another nasty glance at me, he squeezes out of the jury box and rushes out of the courtroom under the mumbles of the spectator.

Mitchellson's eyes land on the substitutes. "Mr. Tumis, you're up."

A young man in his early thirties takes the seat in Cortez's old spot - according to the jury consultant, he is another wildcard. Marcus seems content with the outcome and leans back in his seat, waiting for Pam to continue.

After everyone in the courtroom has settled down, Doc is called and takes the stand. Today, he is wearing a suit and tie and even got a haircut. He starts out with introducing himself to the jury. It is quite intriguing to learn about his background - he used to be a lance corporal in the Marines which earns him an approving look from the retired mayor in the jury box and went to school right here in Chicago, receiving a PhD from Northwestern.

Pam leads him skillfully along. "Dr. Sullivan, you have observed Ms. Cooper's testimony over these last three days."

"Yes, Ma'am."

A smile from the older jury members by his humble demeanor.

"In your professional opinion, what was the trigger of Ms. Cooper's actions that night?"

Doc turns his full attention to the jury. "Rena is suffering from what experts call a 'Battered Women's Syndrome' as well as 'Post Traumatic Stress Disorder'. The abuse she suffered at the hands of Mr. Parks together with deep rooted abandonment issues due to the early death of her mother caused her to snap under long built up pressures. It was not as much the fear for her own safety but for the life of her unborn child that ultimately triggered the need to end Mr. Parks' life."