Chapter 34 - Worries, Doubts and Surprises

"I don't like it. I should be here, with you. Not running around chasing a lead that will probably get us nowhere." For the 20th time that morning, Derek protested. After the incident with the Alpha, he didn't want to leave Adelinas side. It was two days later on Monday, and Adelina decided that she wasn't going to spend more time being shaken up over the encounter. She just wanted to move on and pretend for at least one day that everything was normal. That meant going to school.

The only downside to her day, so far, was that coach was making them do a marathon run through the woods near the school. An idea Derek was clearly opposed to.

With Derek towering in front of her, she looked up and gave him a reassuring smile, "I'll be fine. Seriously, the alpha won't try and attack when we're running in a group of nearly 50 people. It's too public." Her hand grabbed his, playing with his fingers as she never broke eye contact and continued to convince him, "Besides, it's not like we're utterly defenceless. I have Allison, and, Lydia, Stiles, Scott and Isaac."

At the mention of Isaacs name, Derek let out a groan, his scowl only growing more intense. As much as he appreciated Isaac wanting to protect Adelina, he still hated the way he clung to her. But what he hated more was that Isaac would be here to protect her and he wouldn't, something that seems to happen alot lately.

After chuckling at his reaction she carried on with a soft voice, "Argent needs your help. So does sherrif Stilinski. You're the most experienced on all of this, they need you to help them." The night that the Alpha went after Leo and surprisingly didn't kill Adelina, it ran through Beacon Hills. The station was overrun with reports of a large 'bear' or 'mountain lion' running through the streets, killing two more people before disappearing into the woods. The official report said 'animal attack', obviously, but the pack knew the truth.

Argent had been able to find a set of tracks, which he believed belonged to the alpha, and had been spending the last two days following them. They led him to an abandoned factory just outside of Beacon Hills, entering Beacon County. It was then that he called Derek to ask for help as his werewolf senses might be able to pick up something that Argent couldn't, being human and all. Much to his dismay, Adelina had convinced Derek to go and help him. After all, finding the alpha and its pack had to be top of their priorities.

"You know I don't like this." He sighed, his eyes meeting the ground as his jaw clenched.

Biting back a smile, she leaned up to him, placing a delicate kiss on his cheek and intertwining their fingers. When she spoke, he lifted his eyes to hers, green on blue. "I know." Their eyes were having a silent back and fourth. Through them, they could see everything they wanted to say, from 'no, I won't leave you' to 'I'll be fine' to 'stay safe'. And despite everything inside of him burning to stay by her side, to make sure that he keeps her safe, he couldn't help but give in. Derek knew that he couldn't leave Argent alone when this was the closest they've ever come to the alpha. And he didn't want Scott or anyone else to rush after the alpha, fearing that they'd be hurt, or worse. This was the only way to keep everyone safe, even if it meant leaving her. Derek cared more for others than he'd ever admit.

Bringing his free hand to her cheek he caressed it softly, his brows furrowing upwards as worry glinted in his beautiful green eyes, "If something happens to you then it will be me out there murdering people." The words were a whisper, only made for her. It was like he was scared to say it out loud, fearing that if he did the world would play a cruel trick on him and something truly would happen to Adelina.

"Nothing is going to happen to me. Or Leo. We're gonna look after each other." They both glanced backwards to the young boy. He was leaning against Stiles' jeep, with Stiles and Scott standing close to him. Isaac, Allison and Lydia were already in the school, whilst the others waited in the parking lot. Leo had finally warmed up to them a little more, mostly Scott. But he was still on edge when Adelina wasn't with him. Even though he was only stood 50 feet from her, his shoulders were tensed and his eyes would dart around at everyone warily, before landing on her for a few seconds in an almost pleading manner, hoping she'd go back to him quickly. Both of his hands were stuffed into the pockets of his jeans and he looked uncomfortable and nervous.