A bloody reunion

Blackbeard wordlessly approached Stede, a fearsome look in his eyes but Stede was still in awe that this was Ed he was looking at.

"You came back" he growled.

"Never left-" Stede replied before being cut off by a blade being thrust at him.

He jumped to the side, catching a blade one of his crew threw at him as they stood out of the way of the two. Blackbeard's attacks were relentless, one stab and swing after another. Stede barely had time to think of his own moves, only able to parry and swerve.

"C'mon Ed, please listen to me. I'm- ah! I'm sorry I left. But I can exp-" Stede tried to get through to him but his pleas seemed to only make Blackbeard angrier and his attacks more lethal. Before he knew it he was backed up against a wall by the pirate and a reckless idea came to him. When Blackbeard made another thrust with his blade Stede did not dodge this one but took it in the abdomen. He heaved forward with the pain, grunting before wincing up at Blackbeard.

"Please Ed....Please give me a chance to explain. Please hear me out....I'm....so very sorry" He wheezed out, holding onto the blade in him so the pirate couldn't get away. He lifted up a bloodied hand to cup Ed's kohl marked face and it seemed for a moment that he might actually drop his guard. Instead he pulled out his sword and let Stede drop to his knees, clutching his side.

"It's Blackbeard now. You killed Ed. And you'll join him soon" He snarled, his head snapping to the sound of Izzy and Fang boarding the ship and rushing over to them, their surprised eyes flicking between the stabbed man and their captain but not wanting to interfere in this reunion.

Blackbeard stood there, now faced with a choice: kill Stede or hear him out. He could also throw him back on land but he'd likely get himself killed anyway. None of the options were appealing to him so he just sighed and sheathed his blade.

"Throw them all in the Brig" He barked, briskly walking away since it was too painful to watch Stede get dragged away bleeding as he cried out for him. Once he was behind closed doors again he slid down to the ground, resting his forhead on the floorboards as he plunged his dagger into them with a shaky sob. Why did he have to come back? Just when he was finally letting his grip loosen on him, he came stumbling back and every pushed down emotion from this past month was crushing him. A part of him was clawing from within to just find out why he abandoned him but the even the mere sight of Stede made him so torn with conflicting emotions it felt like he was going insane. Not to mention the sickening worry that struck him when his blade ran through the man. Why did he make himself so hard to hate.

---

The next few days were even quieter than usual as the Revenge set sail again, Blackbeard barely spoke as he tried his best to ignore just who he was carrying on his ship and his crew did their best to not get in his way. But eventually he broke, he needed to at least see his stab did not mortally wound Stede. Gut wrenching dread twisted his insides with every step closer to the brig, every step closer to seeing him.

Blackbeard's forbidding gaze dragged across the men in the cell before settling on the blonde hunched over on some hay in the corner. With a nudge from Jim he looked up and jolted with surpise. He scrambled so quick to the bars he tripped and nearly fell flat, his healing stab wound also causing him to lurch forward in pain.

"Ed! Ed... it is so good to see you. Are you...ready to talk?" Stede hesitantly inquired.

Blackbeard just looked at him distantly, as if not all of him was truly present. Now he knew Stede was still alive his visit was complete, simply turning on his heel and leaving again. He grit his teeth agasint the incessant pleas from the wounded man and half turned his head to flash him a glare of pure hurt and fury before he slammed the door behind him.