CHAPTER 26 || Around the flames

Start from the beginning

"Just admit that you are good at everything."

"I still have much more space for improvement."

"Every genius says that." Minji switched her position to sitting with crossed legs, covering the blanket over her skirt. "I would have spent every penny to hear this voice."

"Well, if you say so," Jungkook also crossed his legs. "I will sing for you everyday. You can listen to it for free, until...forever."

Minji looked at Jungkook and then averted her gaze towards her fingers. Her lips curved upwards as butterflies crazily swirled in her stomach.

"Class prez, when did you start smoking?" Onjo finally raised the thought that had been in her head for some time.

"Eighth grade. I don't have friends or place to release my stress, so I ended up smoking, it's the only time when I feel relieved."

"I used to dislike you...I thought you don't want to be friend with us because you looked down on us..." Hyoryeong said quietly.

"I never look down on anyone, it's just... I never have friends. I am afraid of having one, because all I have was good grades. I don't do sports, join clubs to not affect my grades. I never really know what to do."

Minji looked at the girl as she spilled her genuine thoughts out. She felt her helplessness through her story telling eyes. She knew this top girl had a lot of pressure throughout her life, probably came from her family.

Minji looked at the fire again. She used to think her personal life was the worst, and cursed to God why she was the only one suffering. Now, she found out that on different circumstances, everyone struggled.

"Well, I used to hate class prez too, I never get to reach number one because of her." Joonyeong adjusted his glasses. "I tried so hard, I did all I could do, and I still lost."

"But now I guess it's fine. If not of class prez, I would not have get number two in school."

"Yah, it's already very good, I can't even get in the first ten in class." Daesu pouted.

"Are you seriously comparing yourself with him?" Wujin scoffed and hit his elbow.

"Aish, we can't even get the twentieth." Suhyeok had his arm around Daesu's shoulder.

"What is your rank?" Hyoryeong asked Daesu.

"I am the twenty two, he is twenty five." Suhyeok helped Daesu answered directly.

"Yah! Who says you can tell others my rank?!" Daesu pushed Suhyeok away.

"Wah, Daesu, you ranked the last place in class?!" Cheongsan smirked, while others tried to hold their laughters.

"Oh, nope. There are a total of twenty six students in our class." He answered proudly, as of he had won already.

"Is there any difference though." Jimin snorted at the boy who only nodded vigorously.

"There's no way, I have worked hard, but I guessed I am just not a genius." He shrugged.

"If you can work as hard as how you find food, you probably get number one already." Everyone laughed at Wujin's comment, including Minji and Namra.

"Oh speaking of that," Suhyeok caught his breath and turned to Minji.

"I remember you are only one rank higher than me!"

"Actually, I have been wanting to ask, how did you know I am twenty one." Minji squinted her eyes.

"I asked Miss Park." Suhyeok said. "Cause I am trying to get into twenties, but you are always at place twenty and twenty one, since first year." he explained.