LIE #12

LIE #12

All the chitauri dropped to the ground, falling where they were. The missile had obviously destroyed whatever was controlling them. I watched the portal expectantly, waiting for Stark to return, as were all the other Avengers, I'm sure. An electric sound came from the portal as Natasha stabbed the tesseract.

The portal started closing, but from the last crack fell Iron Man, tumbling towards the earth. I watched as he fell, not slowing down. He was just about to hit the ground but at the last moment the Hulk jumped up and grabbed him, preventing him from becoming a splatter on the pavement. The beast let out a roar as I turned away from the window, going over to Loki and helping him into a sitting position. There was a clicking sound behind us and we turned, only to be greeted by the six avengers, beaten up but still standing.

We're screwed.

Indeed we are.

"If it's all the same to you, I think I'll have that drink now."

~~~

Central Park. Three days later.

Loki and I were in chains and Loki himself was muzzled. He was being taken back to Asgard. They only brought me along to show how defeated we were.

The tesseract was being returned to Asgard, and all the Avengers were here to watch it happen. Stark with his fancy car, Captain with his old fashion bicycle.

I take we'll both be dead in a few days, yes?

Most likely.

Well. That's unfortunate.

I smiled inwardly.

Will this connection still work when we're worlds away?

Yes. Blood Oaths aren't weakened by distance.

Well then, you're going to have to put up with my jabbering before I go on death row.

I think I can deal with that.

Thor pushed one end of the tesseract towards Loki and he took it. He made eye contact with me.

Goodbye, Ash of Midgard.

And then, they were gone.

And I was taken away.

You know, the funny thing is, as a child I was afraid of the dark, of the monsters it concealed in its unfathomable depths. Now, I run towards darkness like it's an old friend, afraid the light will show the monster I have become.

We are the monsters that parents tell their children about at night.

And we all know how this story ends.

The villains never win.

But every villain is a hero is a hero in his own mind.

And that we must remember.