"Yes and-"

"-And you're better off as friends because it would definitely mess up the dynamic of your friendship," he continued to repeat the words she had said many times.

Genevieve nodded. "Exactly."

A dreamy smile tugged at Toby's lips. He sighed and looked up at ceiling thoughtfully. "But wow, you love those freckles."

Genevieve glared before letting out a long, tired breath. "You're scarily good at this," she muttered. "But maybe... maybe I can get over Remus through dating Jessie."

"You mean by using Jessie," Toby corrected. At the pained expression on Genevieve's face, he shook his head and sighed. "C'mon, Gen, be sensible about this. You're being unfair to Jessie."

"I know it's unfair," she exasperated. "But I'm sure I could fall in love with Jessie if I tried to." She suddenly felt nauseous. She wasn't sure if she was disgusted in what she had just said or herself. "And hey! In two days we'll be on the way back home. Maybe over the summer I'll end up falling in love with him." That finalised the internal sickness.

"Genevieve..." Toby started, but his words were swept away with his incredulity. He was looking at her with something she hated - pity.

"What's so wrong with that?" Genevieve inquired, even though she knew everything morally wrong with that. "What's so wrong with not wanting to be alone—"

"But you're not alone Gen, you're lonely. There's a difference."

Genevieve drew back. Reality was a harsh thing to be confronted with, especially when you're nearly 17 and already feel like the loneliest person in the world. Knowing that other people can see that too hurts more than acknowledging it.

Toby watched Genevieve start to fiddle with the same butterfly pendent necklace that always hung from her neck. She didn't look at him, but merely stared at the table that separated them. He knew his words had stung, and for that he couldn't deny that he felt awful, but he had always felt that it was harsh words that got the message across.

"You can't force yourself to love someone, Gen," Toby said. "I've tried. It doesn't work. Why do you think it took me so long to get with Bradley?" His lips twitched upwards. "Denial isn't good for the soul."

Genevieve smiled faintly. "Right." She glanced over at his work, longing for a change of subject. "What are you writing about?"

"Vulpes Mortem," Toby answered. If he knew she was changing the conversation, he didn't show any sign of it. "It's one of the deadliest poisons alive. The flower inside of it, Foxglove, is what makes it so poisonous."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"These are so nice," Peter groaned with a mouthful of blueberry muffin. He nodded appreciatively at Dottie, the house elf who had been more than willing to stuff him with treats. "Truly. I'm going to eat these until I'm sick. Even then I'll carry on eating."

"Oh, no!" Dottie cried, her thin hands flying to her face. "Mr Pettigrew mustn't make himself sick!"

Peter abruptly raised his hands and began to shake his head. "No, no, no! I didn't mean it literally, I'm sorry to make you panic," he reassured. "These are really good muffins, though."