Chapter Four: A Change in Atmosphere

Depuis le début

Errō cautiously raised an eyebrow. They didn't read into any of the characters of Dreamswap, out of respect for their privacy. They knew all of their names, just not the people themselves. Got to have some surprises in life. "I do not know him."

"Oh, well, Error is one of the Justice Reins most wanted. He is mainly affiliated with my brother, Nightmare, who is the Guardian of Negativity." Dream explained, his voice grimmer than before. He pulled out a folded photo of one of the Meme Team's most wanted posters from his coat pocket and handed it to Errō, who squinted at the picture.

Errō gingerly took the piece of paper from Dream, taking care to not make skin-to-skin contact. They lifted the paper up to their face before setting it down on their lap. Opening their inventory, Errō grabbed their glasses and placed them on their face. It made the surroundings a lot clearer, despite the glasses themselves being broken and shattered, only being held together by pieces of string and tape. They lifted the picture and looked at it again. It was a wanted poster of Error, with a surprising reward of 100,000 Gold. The picture of Error itself was mildly detailed and colored, and from what Errō could see, Error had no glitches. Or the glitches just weren't drawn on, and if that was the case, then that's one odd detail to leave out.

"Huh, I suppose we do look similar." Errō said lightly, handing the poster back to Dream, who folded it back into his coat pocket.

"Yeah, it's one of the first things I noticed, so I was just wondering," Dream chuckled.

Errō hesitantly reciprocated the smile and looked back down at their hands. Which still looked weird to look at. The skin still felt weird. All of it was just weird.

--

Zaina poked her head into the hospital room, clipboard in hand. "Hey, sorry to interrupt, but I need to borrow Dream for a few minutes, if that's okay?" She smiled apologetically at Errō.

Errō raised an eyebrow at the intrusion, but nodded. "Okay?"

Dream glanced at Errō before standing up and following Zaina outside of the hospital room.

"Is something wrong?" Dream asked, crossing his arms.

"Kind of," Zaina replied, handing Dream a copy of Errō's file. "I found a few things while my team was prepping Errō's wounds. I printed a few pictures of the more concerning findings."

Dream slowly opened up the small medical file and felt his mouth go dry at the first picture. It was a picture of what appeared to be a fucking brand on Errō's shoulder. And it didn't appear to be fresh either.

"What kind of vile people were they affiliated with to receive a mark like this!?" Dream turned the picture over, and saw some closer shots of the mark and a drawn picture of the design itself. It was of a crescent moon with an apple tree sitting in its curve.

"I need a copy of these photos immediately. Have them sent to my office, please."

Zaina nodded, going back to her desk to begin printing the photos for Dream.

--

Dream pushed the curtains aside as he stepped back into Errō's hospital room, increasingly more concerned than before.

Errō blinked at him, watching him closely. "Is everything okay..?" They asked slowly.

Dream let out a small breath, regaining his composer. "Excuse my hastiness. I did not mean to startle you." He apologized, walking over to Errō's bedside, slightly fretting under the look they were giving him.

He sat down, taking in a breath. "I'm going to be blunt right now." Dream shifted, now looking more serious than upset. "My doctor, Zaina, found a brand on your left shoulder."