Untitled Part 13

"Go after them! Now," Sabrina commanded to Sypher, who had been hot on her heals the moment they joined the chase.
Sypher nodded only once, affirming the command, and gave chase once again down the hall after the group.
Sabrina brought her attention back to Mercea, rolling him onto his back. It was clear to her that he was in no condition to continue on. Thoughts ran marathons through her mind as she tried to figure out how to bring him back to consciousness. The memory of him telling her, a few years after she started working for him, that he wasn't in the greatest health. That he had gotten very sick on one of his earliest missions. He had told her the sickness had weakened him. Sabrina had offered to change him then, but he had refused. That thought haunted her now, as Mercea lay unconscious beneath her because of that very weakness.
"Dammit all," she grumbled to herself. "You were always the stubborn fool." And with that she bit his jugular. The chemicals for change that her saliva contained began slowly working its way into his system and into his heart. Sabrina withdrew her teeth from his neck. A drop of blood crested at the corner of her lips for a second before rolling down her chin. The two bite marks left by her teeth were already sealing shut as the chemicals worked. She could hear his heart beat stronger and harder as he changed.
Sypher's shoes squeaked on the tile floor as he came to a halt at a split in the hallway. His breathing was labored from the running. He scanned each section, each hallway, seeking some kind of hint as to where the mysterious group had gone. Minutes went by. It seemed to him like an hour. When he was about to give up hope and make his way back to Sabrina and the captain, a glint caught his eye. It was very minute, but enough to catch light. Sypher turned to face it, scrunching up his face as the gears in his head worked harder. Squatting, he touched a finger to it then brought it up to eye level. It had a strange color to it. Almost a muddy red. He pressed the finger up to the pad of his thumb and slowly rubbing them together, checking the consistency of it. It wasn't sticky, but it wasn't runny, as liquids normally were. Sypher pulled apart his fingers to take a closer look. That was when the odor found its way into his nose. The smell of oil.
"Found you," Sypher chuckled softly. He was up and following the trail.