Chapter 27: Broken Bonds

Hello readers :) I apologize for the lack of updates this past month. I have been very busy lately but I'm now back on track with the story. As it nears its end I will be updating on the regular schedule again. Thank you for being patient. Enjoy the chapter!

-

It was late, around midnight, when Illumi heard the old doors to the Zoldyck mansion creak open. He rushed down to the entrance to find you coming in. He was relived to see you made it back safely, but upset you weren't unscathed.

You returned with various small cuts and bruises on your body, and a large gash in your cheek that ran down from your ear to the corner of your mouth.

Lulu offered herself as a crutch as she led you to the living room of the mansion. Illumi's family wasn't around currently, so the house was quiet. You took advantage of this peace to relax into the comfortable sofa.

Upon seeing you battered state, Illumi went to retrieve various medical supplies to help treat your wounds. He sat you up on the couch and immediately began cleansing the cuts and bruises on your body.

"(Y/n), are you alright?" he asked, as he bandaged a sizeable cut on your arm.

"For the most part, yes" you replied.

"What did you do on that mission?"

"I helped kill an old enemy of one of the Troupe members. It wasn't too hard, but I didn't expect to come back this hurt" you said.

Illumi sighed as he gazed at the large cut across your right cheek. He rummaged through the medical supplies and pulled out a needle and a roll of suture.

"Woah, is that necessary?" you asked.

"The cut in your cheek is too deep for just bandages, I'll need to stitch it" Illumi said, while threading the needle. "Don't tell me you're afraid of needles, (y/n)"

"Not afraid... But I don't exactly want any near my face"

"You'll be fine. I'm the one sewing you up, and you know I'm good with needles" Illumi said, offering a small yet reassuring smile.

"Yeah, yeah. Just get it over with" you sighed.

You felt the needle poke your cheek and weave through your skin. It was painful, and wildly uncomfortable, but you just had to deal with it.

"So, tell me about your plan to leave your father" Illumi said, upon noticing your discomfort.

"Well, I got the amulet" you said. You tried pulling it out of your pocket, but your lover gave you a look that clearly said "don't move," so you stopped.

"I plan to go back home and give it to my father. Retrieving this amulet is the last thing I do for him. After that, I'm telling him that I plan to leave and stay gone for good"

"You sure he'll just let you leave?" Illumi asked.

"No... but I don't plan on staying either way" you said.

"Hm" Illumi cut the surgical thread and took out a bandage to cover the stitches.

"I also plan to get my friend Renji and his boyfriend out too. I have the funds to pay for a temporary hotel for them" you said.

"Renji? I don't think you've mentioned him before"

"He's a good friend of mine" you smiled.

"Well, I'd be happy to help you with this plan, which means I'm going with you this time" Illumi said.

"Don't worry, I already planned to have you tag along" you laughed.

Illumi chuckled at your response and placed a bandage over your stitches.