Ch. 1

"Wake up!" Nike yells as the heat of the sun hits her skin. "The sun has risen!"

The wolves all whimper as her sharp voice pierces their sensitive ears, but she just continues on with her skinning of a rabbit that had skittered by before the sun had fully risen. Once the skin had dried she could make it into clothes or a bag or something essential.

After spending her whole life running with wolves she had learned how to skin animals by feeling the shape and movement of the small blade she carried.

Soon the pack had risen from their spots along the cave. The sound of paws hitting the ground reached Nike's ears as she continued on with her task. Without even greeting each other past a small nod, the wolves went straight to the leftover meat from their meal yesterday to refill their stomachs.

As the gnashing of their teeth came to an end, a dragon barely larger than a war horse crashed through the opening of the cave.

His breath was labored and the stench of fresh blood soon filled the cave. "Help." He gasped before his head fell to the floor in unconsciousness.

The wolves moved to the entrance of the cave on high alert watching for humans or other attackers who might have seen the dragon flying in, while Nike stood from her spot calmly, and walked to the bleeding beast.

"I'm going to feel your body until I find all the parts I need to fix. It might hurt a bit, but try not to move." the human tells the slumbering dragon hoping it can still hear her voice.

She places her hands on his tail to start before moving her hands down his hind legs and from his underbelly to his back making a mental note of each injury, small or major. From his front legs she finds one missing with a huge presence of blood flowing all the way across his chest.

Dipping into her magic, she slips into a sense of calmness until it overflows from her veins and she transfers the feeling to the stressed dragon. His breathing immediately slows as the pain is overpowered by her powers.

Once he's still, she dips further into her power, drawing forth the healing power she had discovered as a small child still living with her birth parents. Starting with his injured front leg, she seals the cut over his chest and scabs his stump over to return to if she has the energy to regrow it after sealing the other major wounds.

Her power flows down his back, to a large cut into his spine that should have made him unable to move past that point ever again. Her power takes its time filling the wound and trying to repair the links between the nerve endings and the broken bones of his spine. Slowly the nerves reconnect and the bone stitches itself back together.

She continues on healing down his back before coming back up to his mighty wings which are full of unnatural holes. Her magic, which is still overflowing the dragon's body, develops into a finer thread that starts stitching the skin together and regrowing the missing scales into even stronger scales that a blade wouldn't be able to cut through no matter how fine.

After all the holes in his wings were whole again, she returned to the dragon's missing front leg and unsealed the wound, pushing her magic through to regrow the bones, nerves, blood vessels, and the skin and scales to protect it.

Her magic starts to run out as she finishes with the last of his paw and starts to cover it in scales, but she pushes through the fatigue until the entire leg has been fully restored.

Once she draws her magic back, Soul puts a piece of the meat she had prepared earlier into her lap to eat. She scarfs it down drawing as much energy as she can from it before moving to the very back of the cave to collapse to the floor and sleep.