Chapter 15

The Secret Diary of Draco Malfoy: Aristocrat, Ne'er-do-Well, Rampant Homosexual.

Chapter 15: 2nd June – 18th June

Thursday 3rd June.

Dear Diary,

I've just got back from meeting with Harry. I'm actually quite relieved that we've had so much work to do recently, as it's prevented me from getting too nervous about the date. Not that I'm sure it even was a date.

I met Harry outside the Three Broomsticks at about six, and we found a relatively secluded table at the back. Harry was being quiet and awkward, and I didn't really know what to do. "What did you want to talk to me about, Harry?" I asked, after we'd ordered our drinks and cast a Privacy Spell on our table.

He smiled at me shyly. "Oh, you know. I guess I've just been missing you, that's all. I just wanted to make sure you're okay. Ron and Hermione said that they've seen you wandering around the castle on your own, looking really miserable. Then Luna said that when she last saw you, you looked like you'd hardly been sleeping, and I overheard Crabbe and Goyle in the library talking about how you hardly eat anything these days and spend all your time writing depressing poems. I don't think they realised I was there. Draco... are you all right?"

Now, I can't say I wasn't pleased that the participators in Mission Harry/Draco had been very quick off the ball in conveying to Harry how miserable I was without him. Still, I do feel that they may have overdone it slightly. It's a testament to how angsty Harry can get that he believed any of it. Not to say that I haven't been miserable since the split, but... emo poetry? I don't think so.

"I'm okay, Harry," I said, smiling bravely. "I mean, it's just been really hard for me, not knowing what's going on between us. I feel so awful about the way I behaved before, and I want to do something to make it up to you and show how much you mean to me. Everything was so great when we were together and, now that it's gone, I feel so miserable." The sad thing is, I wasn't even exaggerating.

"Oh, Draco," Harry sighed. "I feel the same. God, why is this so hard?"

"It doesn't have to be," I said quietly, edging closer to him. "Harry, I want to show to you that I am completely dedicated to our relationship. I want to show you that you mean everything to me. I don't want to put you under any pressure or anything, but I really do want to make things work. I... I want to help you out with You Know Who. I've been talking it over with Pansy, and I'm willing to tell you anything you want to know. Not that I know much."

"You'd do that for me?" he asked.

"Of course! Harry, you know that I want you to win; I don't care about You Know Who! I don't think even my dad would mind too much – he's been a lot less pro-Dark Side since You Know Who started favouring Carrow. But as I said, I don't know very much. There was a meeting at our house over Easter. I know that the Death Eaters are all going through a phase where they're really into pavlovas, profiteroles, fishcakes and cucumber sandwiches. Apparently that's all they serve at any of the meetings lately. Oh, and You Know Who likes blondes. And he's really conscious of the fact that he's far less attractive than he used to be. He told me that his next meeting with you would be sooner than you think, but as far as I can tell, that's what he says every meeting. Well... that's about it," I finished lamely, well aware that I hadn't been able to tell Harry anything remotely useful.

I looked up to see that he was staring moodily into middle distance again, the breeze blowing through his hair. This confused me at first, until I realised that someone had left the door open, letting in a draught. "So," he said. "You think you've won, Voldemort. You think you know everything. Well, you counted against one thing: love. Your heart is cold and barren, untouched by human feeling. Well, I may not have your knowledge, but my true and stalwart heart will conquer in the end, and I will bring about the ruin of your nightmarish reign of terror."