Chapter 6

The Secret Diary of Draco Malfoy: Aristocrat, Ne'er-do-Well, Rampant Homosexual.

Chapter 6: 6th January – 1st February.

Wednesday 6th January.

Dear Diary,

Hmm. No opportunity to talk to Harry today, despite having double Potions together. I tried to sidle up to him when we were collecting our supplies, but I was blocked off by Granger who appeared out of nowhere. I suppose I could have tried to get past her, but I didn't like the look on her face. Granger has a history of violence as far as I'm concerned. What the hell is her problem? I was only going to talk to Harry; I don't see why she felt the need to get in the way. Women.

Pansy is very happy with her new nose. She does look much better – even I couldn't think of anything sarcastic to say about it, and that's rarely happened to me before. Much to her delight, Theo seems to have noticed as well. He told her earlier that she looked very nice, and asked if she'd done anything to her hair. They've been making eyes at each other all evening. I might suggest to Theo later that he asks her out; the recent improvements in my own love life make me want to help out other people. Who says I'm not a good friend?

Thursday 7th January.

Dear Diary,

It's bloody cold today. And stupid Professor McGonagall wouldn't allow me to wear my cashmere scarf and mittens in class earlier, saying that her room had a perfectly effective warming charm placed on it, and that I was just being silly. Does she not understand that I am of a very sensitive disposition?

Blaise has been hiding in the dormitory for the past two days, claiming that he has a cold and is too ill to go to class. Madame Pomphrey gave him some Pepper Up, but he still claims he feels like hell. Too ashamed to show his face more like, now the whole school knows that Harry dumped him.

Oh, and I had another run-in with Granger earlier today. She ambushed me after Arithmancy, saying that she needed to talk to me. Well, as you can imagine, I wasn't too keen on this, but I didn't want to do anything that might make her angry.

As soon as we were alone, she rounded on me. "Malfoy, what the hell are you playing at with Harry?"

I was a little taken aback. I mean, how is that any of her business? And how much did she know, exactly? However, I soon regained my customary poise. "What the hell are you talking about, Granger?" I sneered.

She gave me this look. "I'm talking about you sending Harry little notes over the holidays. I'm talking about you cornering him when he's on his own, trying to gain his trust. I'm talking about you giving him adoring looks across the Great Hall. Exactly what are you playing at?"

Well, this was all a bit rich. Sending Harry little notes? God, she made me sound like a twelve-year-old girl with a crush. And I haven't exactly been giving Harry 'adoring looks'. Not too adoring, anyway. I raised my eyebrow haughtily. "And just what kind of business is that of yours? For your information, I've decided that I want to let bygones be bygones with Harry, and try to forge a friendship with him. I'm not doing anything wrong."

She took a step towards me and I instinctively backed away. It's not that I'm scared of her or anything, but I know that she has a problem with anger management. "You're not just after friendship though, are you?" she said. "You want him. Now, I don't know what you're playing at exactly. Maybe you're trying to get one up on your little friend Zabini. Maybe you just want to hurt Harry more that you've done in the past by using him then moving on. Whatever it is, I want you to back the hell off right now. Harry is an extremely capable wizard, but he can be very easily led by kindness. He never had any affection growing up and... it tends to turn his head slightly. Blind him to the truth. I'm not going to let him get hurt."