"And who says there isn't something else? Look guys, I get why you have a problem. I do. But like I said, who I choose to go out with is nobody's business but my own. We're having a great time together and I really think I can make this one go the distance. I'm sorry, but I'm happy. The two of you are just going to have to live with it."

They lapsed into silence, and I stood there behind the bookcase, feeling as if my stomach had fallen out. So there it was – confirmation that Harry really does have a new girlfriend. I could have wept. Harry is going out with someone and, from what he was saying, he's really happy. Oh, it's so unfair! Nobody could make Harry as happy as I could – why can't he see that?

But who is she? Judging by his friends' reactions, it's not someone they like at all. So my prime suspect, Ginny Weasley, is off the list. In fact, I don't think anyone on the list would fit the profile now. I'll have to start looking around again for someone whom Harry shouldn't be going out with. Oh God, what if it's Millicent? Oh no, surely not. Besides, Granger thought Harry was being blinded by his new girlfriend's good looks. Oh, who can it be?

I was still standing behind the bookcase, battling with my misery, when Weasley appeared a few minutes later.

He scowled at me. "Malfoy? What the hell are you doing here?"

I looked down my nose at him, which wasn't easy seeing as he's a good five inches taller that I am. "What do you think, Weasley? I'm looking for a book."

He gave me a surly look. "Were you trying to listen in on our conversation? Harry's told us about you following him all around the castle; what are you up to exactly? You'd better not be planning something. Just stay away from Harry, okay?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Weasley," I simpered. "I didn't realise that Saint Potter's precious personal space was being invaded. Please forgive me for daring to intrude." With that, I gathered up my things and walked off. Not my finest comeback, I know, but I was pretty upset. Stupid Weasley. So Harry's been telling everyone that I'm a mad stalker. That's just great. Now I'll never get to spend any time with him because he'll always have that lanky ginger oaf fending me off. Have I mentioned that I hate my life?

Half-an-hour later.

Urgh. I just ate a jam donut because I was feeling so miserable. I don't know how much exercise I'll have to do to burn that off. I'm sure my arms aren't as toned as they used to be. I asked Pansy, but she just rolled her eyes and said I was being stupid. Nobody understands me.

Monday 28th October.

Dear Diary,

Something amazing happened today. We were in Potions and I had to get some more heartsease extract from the storage cupboard. I'd just found what I needed when I heard someone else come into the cupboard. I turned round, and it was Harry Potter.

He said, "Could I have that jar after you, Malfoy?"

I said, "Yes," and handed it to him.

It was so weird. We just stared at each other in shock. It was the first civil exchange that had ever taken place between the two of us, and I don't think either of us knew what to make of it. It was such a novelty to be polite to Harry Potter, and it made me realise how things could be if we'd been friends. I should have left it there. I should have exited the cupboard with my supplies and allowed Harry to think that maybe I'd changed or that he'd been mistaken in me. But then I remembered the conversation I'd overheard in the library and all this bitterness about the fact that Harry would never be mine and that he was off snogging some unappreciative tart boiled to the surface, and I just wanted to hurt Harry like he'd unintentionally hurt me.