Chapter Six

In true crazy person fashion, I stopped by Sunbucks on my way to the Windberg Regency, but I couldn't decide what to order Kiel, so I didn't order anything

In true crazy person fashion, I stopped by Sunbucks on my way to the Windberg Regency, but I couldn't decide what to order Kiel, so I didn't order anything. I wound up standing in line for a good ten minutes, scouring the board for something that sounded right for him, but then fled into the city streets ashamed and empty handed.

I figured I could just bring him back and let him choose for himself, or dare the long line inside the Windberg's location, but when I got to his room, I heard a couple voices I didn't recognize. I paused, and decided to knock for fear of interrupting something.

No one answered, so I knocked again, harder. When I worked up the nerve to open the door myself, I don't think I was prepared for what I found.

There was a lump of discarded armor at the foot of the bed that caught my eye first. The sunlight that was bleeding in from wide-open curtains made sure of that. It touched the lips of several beer bottles spaced across the floor, illuminating them, as well. Then I saw the unfolded box of pizza; half eaten; pineapple and ham, and apparently abandoned in the middle of the room. The television next, still on and loud– and thankfully the voices I'd heard. Then I saw the knight.

Kiel was sprawled out over the top of most of the bedsheets. His tan skin was warm against the stark white comforter, and every single inch of his very exposed body was as muscular and defined as I had ever wanted it to be. I would've pat myself on the back a little longer for creating such a sight, if not for the blanket barely covering the rest of him forcing my eye. I looked away as soon as I arrived at that part, quickly evading to his face. His mouth was open, and strangely... I found it all a very shocking, very frat-boy-feeling, very attractive display of wild masculinity.

The poor guy, either bored, or set on throwing all caution to the wind, had treated himself to an obscene amount of room service, and then... passed out on the bed? The menu was discarded near his legs.

He rustled in place; the blanket slithered back off of him, and thankfully he was wearing underwear, but the instinct to catch his cover before it fell came to life inside of me before I knew it, and I had run at him to do just that.

Kiel emerged from the bed an animal! At some point; from somewhere he produced his sword and with a loud squeal, I stumbled back and crashed into the floor.

"It's me! It's me! It's me!" I hurried. "It's me!" I'd never been more certain I was about to be impaled.

Kiel sobered to the daylight. "Miss Cassidy?" he asked. He lowered the blade. "Why are you sneaking up on me?"

"Sneaking?!" I cracked.

"What were you doing? I could have skewered you!"

"I SEE THE SWORD! Was that in bed with you?!"

"Of course it was," he said. "What kind of knight sleeps unarmed?"

"What?!" My hands flopped into my lap. "What kind of crazy nonsense is that?"