Chapter Five

I was able to weasel my way out of Luke's sedan and into the Windburg Regency without his trailing shadow

I was able to weasel my way out of Luke's sedan and into the Windburg Regency without his trailing shadow. Kiel followed after me, and while he was compliant to what I wanted, we were both completely lost for a plan.

"If you didn't know I was arriving, why did you extend your stay?" Kiel asked.

"I didn't," I confessed. "That was a bold-faced lie."

"Why didn't you just tell him who I was?" he added.

"Yeah, that'd go over about as well a fart in a phone booth."

"A fart in a what?" He cringed. "Gross, whatever it is."

"Luke is... He's..." I shrugged.

"Your Luke is offended by my presence near you," Kiel explained.

"Yeah, no duh!"

"I apologize, then. I did not realize the consequence of my prolonged hovering. I would've left sooner if—"

"—Okay, but where? Where would you have gone? You're not exactly... from here."

Kiel ushered me off the bar of the door, corralling me in before him. He ran ahead to grab the second latch, determined not to let me touch it.

"...Thank you." I caught the literal glimmer of his eye under the entry's fluorescent lighting. The way they shimmered from true blue to a dark blue returned that eerily familiar sensation. I entered the hotel and I sighed, approaching the desk. "I'm just gonna put you in a room to appease him. Okay? I'm sorry, but realistically you can't stay with me anyway. It's just gonna cause a fight."

"Because it looks bad?" Kiel asked.

"Yes," I said. "Because it looks bad. And because I don't know you."

"You do know me," he said. "You said you've been writing my books for years."

"That's... not the same."

"Sure it is, let me prove it. What day was I born?"

"May eighteenth."

"See?"

"Okay?" I frowned. "When's mine?"

"...That isn't fair."

"We're strangers," I said.

"How long have you and Lucas been together?"

"Like a year," I said.

"You two seem more serious than a sometimes thing." Now he was prying.

"Sometimes," I sang back, getting in line.

"Well, it seems if he was going to be bothered by me, he would do a better job of marking you as his? Does he know your birthday?"