Chapter ten: recruit

I shrugged and grabbed a pair of shoes before following Lorenzo to his car as we drove we approached what looked like a normal gym well apart from the fact it was in the middle of nowhere.

Lorenzo came to my side of the jeep and held my hand as we walked into the gym.

We both walked in and my eyes raked the gym to find the weak spots of these people, I found the worst fighter by far and saw Lorenzo nod at him, he then followed me.

I threw my bag down and Lorenzo decided to introduce the person to me.

"Ace this is my sister Ximena she is going to help with training starting with you currently she can't talk due to a broken jaw..." Lorenzo started.

"She clearly can't be that good then." Ace interrupted, I walked towards the punching bag and threw the harshest right hook I could master at it if I can't speak its not going to stop me intimidating people.

"What was that Ace, see how everyone here is looking at her. They are shocked that means that they haven't seen a right hook like that. Plus you two will have a lot in common except she used her time in juvie smartly and learnt and became the strong independent person she is today while you well never changed so grow up and do anything she wants you too." Lorenzo said clearly not liking this recruit.

I made him watch what I did and try and repeat it but he sucked.

I got my phone and put text to speech on it.

"Stand in the stance you would to deck someone please." My phone said. He did as I asked it was rather shit though. So I used my leg to make his feet a good distance apart and then stood behind him positioning his hand.

"Punch." My phone said, this time when he hit the punching bag it made a sound but not what I wanted so I stepped to the side of Ace and told him to punch again. This cocky shit wasn't even trying.

"If you don't want to be here then leave if you want to learn how to hurt someone actually fucking try will you." I glared at Ace.

Lorenzo heard wind of what was happening and got a different recruit to show him how it is to work with someone.

I told the new recruit to get into his stance and punch the bag, then I corrected him like I had Ace and told him to hit the bag it actually looked like it would hurt someone so I smiled and highfived the kid.

It appeared as if Ace was starting to get that I wasn't trying to joke when I swept his feet from under him and gave him the finger.

"Five minute break Ace then back and actually listen to my sister this time she knows what she is doing." Lorenzo muttered, I removed the vest I was wearing as it was annoying me I rewrapped my hands and started my assault on the punching bag.

Ace walked in during this time I could see in his eyes that he was confused, I think it was by the scars but who gives a shit.

I stopped hitting the bag and indicated for Ace to get into stance were I had just been, I corrected it again before getting my phone to tell him to punch this time he actually put effort into it but nowhere near the amount that would be needed so I walked away if the kid wasn't going to obey basic instructions I wasn't going to waste time on him.

"You lasted longer than most of the professional trainers do, I am Leonard one of Lorenzo's friends nice to meet you." he said as if I was going to break down.

"Oh I haven't quit that kid is going to come crawling back in no time, I learnt in juvie and taught others so I am used to stubborn people just not little shits like him." I said using my phone, Leonard smiled and shook his head at my comment.

"Oh I see you've met Leonard, he is my best friend, how is training Ace going?" Lorenzo asked smirking, I playfully punched him in the shoulder.

"He is like fifteen why is he even being recruited?" I asked curiously.

"He is fourteen and was a useful asset handy with knives and that crap just not good with any form of combat." Lorenzo said sadly, I nodded before making my way back over to Ace.

"Lorenzo said your good with knives, so we are going to look at this differently. Show me the stance you use if you are going to fight someone with knives." He stood in the perfect stance, except for his hands. I adjusted his hands, and signalled for him to punch, I got the exact result I had wanted from him and I smiled at a shocked Lorenzo and Leonard. I left him to continue with that while Lorenzo excused the two of us home, so I collected my bag and my top.

The drive home was nice apart from the fact that I couldn't help but think why was a fourteen year old that good with knives for him to act as a recruit in a mafia, he reminded me of myself slightly he was hesitant at first but eventually trusted me.

Once we were home dinner was ready so Santiago handed me a drink and I sat quietly drinking it while the rest of my brothers spoke about their day.

I went to my room and had a shower before I heard my phone go off.

Carlos: Lorenzo said you were able to get through to Ace how

Ximena: had to approach it differently he is good with knives so he has a stance down he just needed a few minor corrections from there and he was able to get the desired result

Carlos: are you willing to help me with my punching

Ximena: are you going to listen and do as I ask

Carlos: Yes I am sorry for everything I said to you before

Ximena: mhm

"The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one ."