chapter thirty-three

Atlas: Hearing- Sleeping at Last

AROUND 4 months had passed since Dove's pregnancy had been revealed. By now, Dove's belly had grown quite large, and she was only 2 months off her due date. Everyday she had the constant support from her friends and family. Even the local people in District 4 would give her advice or calm her if she was anxious at times.

On the whole, Dove was tremendously grateful for all the love she was being given. There was not a moment she was alone. The only loneliness she could feel was that of her heart. Everyday, it grew harder to be without Finnick. She had good days and bad days.

But one day, her beloved friends and family gave her the best gift of all. She was blindfolded at first by Johanna, who was given instructions to take her to a certain place in District 4. When Isabelle and Johanna removed her blindfold, Dove noticed she was stood at the seafront.

When she turned around to see all of District 4 gathered together, holding lanterns, flowers and lit candles, she cried happy tears. Everyone in 4 had come together to say their final goodbyes to Finnick Odair; a Victor, a fighter, a soldier, a friend, a lover, a hero.

A few young children walked over to the pregnant Dove, handing her a few daisies and lilies. She smiled at them as she took the flowers, then turning to her friends and family with the most grateful smile on her face.

Dove spotted a few familiar faces in the crowd, that she was more than elated to see. First she saw Beetee, who was with Haymitch and Katniss. Katniss gently hugged Dove, cautious about her baby bump, but also smiling at her as best she could. Dove then saw Peeta, who was already smiling at her brightly. She giggled as she pulled her good friend into a hug. Then Haymitch kissed her cheek as they all walked with her to the seafront.

Cressida and Pollux emerged from the crowds, rubbing her back as they joined the Victors, who were closest to the waves. The last to emerge from the masses of people was Glaïne, who squealed at the sight of Dove's baby bump. He stood hand in hand with Isabelle, and then the others linked their arms also. Each of the Victors held either a lantern, a candle or flowers, that were to be released into the distance in commemoration of their fallen friend.

Dove, with the support of her people behind her, walked with the flowers resting on her arm towards the sea. She also carried a lantern in one hand, as she cradled her baby bump in the other. Dove smiled tearfully at the waves, thinking back to the times she and Finnick would train on the beach, or picnic on the sand with their families. The times after his Games when they'd go swimming, or explore underground caves.

Dove stood with all those joyous memories for a moment, before reopening her teary eyes. She looked up to the sky, kissing her three fingers before holding them into the sky. District 4 and it's visitors followed this gesture, and then Dove looked across the sea. She smiled tearfully at the sight of the peaceful waves, before preparing for her final goodbye.

Dove released the flowers, one by one, into the ocean as she saw them drift down the current. It was now time to release the lantern into the sky, in honour of her husband, her best friend, her soulmate.

"This isn't goodbye." Dove whispered sadly to her lantern. "It's until we meet again, my darling."

Dove carefully lifted the lantern to the sky, allowing for the salty breeze to lift it further into the clouds. She smiled tearfully at it, as hundreds of lanterns began to follow it. More and more people began to release their flowers into the current of the sea, and the lanterns filled the blue sky with nothing but love and admiration.

"So long, my friend." Dove heard Coraz whisper at the waves.

She smiled over to him, and then many more people saying their goodbyes caught her attention.

"I'll miss you always, and forever." Isabelle said sweetly.

"I hope you've found some peace." Johanna smiled tearfully, as she released her lantern.

"I know I'll see you again, some day." Katniss smiled faintly.

The entire District and it's welcomed friends all said their personal goodbyes to Finnick Odair. Dove was then walked back towards Victors village by all of her friends, each not wanting to go back to their own homes. One by one, Dove said goodbye to everyone who had to return to their duties in their own Districts. Glaïne returned to the Capitol, but Dove didn't mind.

She knew she'd be seeing a lot of her friends again very soon. Bonds that they had made with one another were too strong to be broken. After everything they'd all been through together; the Games, the Quarter Quell, the war and the revolution, they were family now.

But until that day they could all rekindle their friendships, Dove cared for the baby that was almost on it's way.

When Dove and Coraz went inside her house, he opened a certain drawer in her kitchen. Coraz pulled out a perfectly sealed envelopes with neat handwriting on the cover of it.

"What's that?" Dove asked.

"I wanted to give it it you months ago." Coraz sighed. "But I wanted to wait until that familiar spark of hope in your eyes was back." He smiled.

Coraz handed Dove the envelope, which she took hesitantly. Dove looked at him, puzzled, before looking down to see her name addressed on the front. But her expression changed, as she recognised the handwriting almost instantaneously.

"Is this from Finnick?" Dove asked Coraz tearfully.

"He gave it to me just before he left to join squad 451." Coraz remarked. "Just incase."

Dove took a deep breath as she began to open the envelope. Inside was a clean white sheet of paper with inky handwriting covering the entire page. Dove wiped a few tears from her cheeks as she sat down on one of her kitchen stools. She prepared herself to read the letter Finnick had written for her, as Coraz gave her an encouraging look.

The letter was the last thing she had of Finnick. She truly would cherish it forever. The way in which she wished she cherished him. Dove knew this wasn't goodbye, but sometimes the goodbyes we don't share, are the ones that hurt the most...

Dove,

If you're reading this, it means that something went wrong along the way, and that I'm no longer with you. Nevertheless, life goes on, with or without the people we love and cherish.

I'm writing you this letter, incase the future is unfair to us, and I can no longer say these words to you. So, considering that possibility, I want to tell you just how much I love you. I love you more than I could put into a letter, but I want you to have this, incase one day I lose the ability to tell you just that. You are the best parts of me; the part of me I never want to lose. You are my incredible wife, my best friend, my little dove. I am so proud of the person you have become. And I hope the future is kind to us, and that Coraz never has to give you this letter.

But, if we don't get our happy ending in this life, I know there is one where we will. You are my purpose, my life, my love. In any world, in any lifetime. It's always you. There is no one quite like you, Dove Odair. From your pompous attitude, to your painful sarcasm. From your breathtaking smile, to your good heart. My heart beats for you. It always has. And if one day, it stops, know that it could never stop for you.

So, if you're reading this, then just promise me you'll live. Just live, Dove. Keep living. Find that life we always talked about having. Find your peace.

I'll be walking beside you every step of the way.

My love, my purpose, my little dove.

Yours,

Always, and forever,

Finnick.