chapter nine

"Run fast for your mother, run fast for your father. Run for your children, for your sisters and brothers. Leave all your love and your loving behind,

You can't carry it with you if you want to survive."

Dog Days Are Over- Florence + The Machine

~~~

MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR

AS the canon sounded, Dove dived into the water not wasting a second of time.

She darted through the water, aiming for the path to the Cornucopia. When she lifted herself up she noticed Gloss wasn't too far down from her, so she ran like hell.

Dove was drenched in water which slightly weighed her down, and made the surface of the path harder to run across. She was cautious not to slow down, running as fast as she could without slipping into the water. Gloss was catching up to her quickly, so Dove headed straight for the area on the Cornucopia that she noticed had a variety of tridents ready for herself and Finnick.

She grabbed one quickly, spinning around on her heel, ready to attack Gloss. But when she turned around it was as if he disappeared. Dove heard the sounds of canons going off in the sky, as she went to run to find her allies. She was stopped dead in her tracks by the District 9 female tribute, who threw a knife at her. Dove dodged it with ease, and then stabbed the tribute in the chest. The canon sounded immediately, as Dove kicked the tributes body into the water.

The District 6 Morphling was behind her, running at her from behind with a knife when he thought Dove was distracted. She grabbed his arm with the knife in, snatching it from his grasp, flipping him over her shoulder. She plunged the trident into his chest, another canon sounded.

As Dove was about to go find Finnick or Katniss, she noticed Peeta Mellark in a physical brawl with another tribute in the water. Clearly that tribute had given Peeta no chance to swim to the Cornucopia. This tribute was definitely not in agreement with Plutarch's plan.

Dove sprinted from the Cornucopia to run back down the path to help Peeta, but encountered many tributes who wanted her dead first because of her evaluation score.

Dove however, was not fazed by their attempts to kill her. She smirked at the sight of their attempts to attack her in her territory. The water was where she could fight at her best, like Finnick, but also where the other tributes would struggle the most.

Tributes Dove couldn't recognise charged at her forcefully on the thin path that was not wide enough for them all. Dove slid underneath the legs of one, stabbing them in the back with her trident as she kicked them in the water. A male tribute put her in the headlock from behind and began choking her, for a second Dove panicked a little. However she noticed the tribute's legs were sliding into the water, so she smashed her head into his nose, hearing it break. From there she forced her way out of his embrace, her trident not close enough to reach, so she had to fight this one with her fists.

She punched the tribute in the jaw, making both of his hands reach to his face in pain. Dove took the initiative, grabbing his neck to get him back to his feet. She kicked him hard in the ribs, punching his face so hard he fell into the water, unconscious.

Dove was able to pick her trident up, running back to the Cornucopia where she saw Finnick and Katniss fighting a tribute. She sprinted as fast as she could, trying to inform Katniss that she'd found Peeta.

"Duck." Finnick muttered to Katniss as he saw Dove approaching.

He clearly didn't recognise Dove from afar. Her speint must've seemed like an attempt to kill Katniss, as Dove was confused when Finnick sent his trident hurtling towards her.