chapter five

"It's you, it's you, it's all for you. Everything I do."

Video Games- Lana Del Ray

~~~

THE REAPING

DOVE stared horrified at the television broadcast. Snow's announcement made her vision feel fuzzy, and she felt like the whole world was spinning. She had a 1 in 3 chance of having her name called at the Reaping, but for her, that wasn't the issue.

Mags and Annie would not survive in the Quarter Quell. Out of all three of them, Dove had the best chance at survival. What sort of person would she be if one of their names were called, and she didn't volunteer? After all, a big reason as to why Snow wants the existing Victors to re-enter the Games is to eliminate any threat they pose. Dove had demonstrated just how much danger she posed to Snow's system.

Then another realisation hit Dove.

Finnick.

Finnick would be entering the Games, even if his name wasn't called. The other 3 male Victors in District 4 are all much older than Finnick. He's too much of a hero to stand-by and not volunteer as tribute. If his name is called first, the other Victors wouldn't volunteer for him. Why would they? Finnick had the best fighting chance at winning the Games. If he could do it at 14, what's to say he couldn't at 24?

Dove grabbed her coat and got ready to run to Finnick's house, but she didn't need to, as he was already knocking aggressively at her door.

As Dove opened the door, Finnick ran in so fast to embrace Dove into a hug that he almost made Dove trip backwards. She squeezed him tightly, never wanting to let him go. The two Victors stayed like that for a little while, both understanding what was about to happen.

"Why does this feel like a goodbye hug?" Dove asked Finnick sadly.

"Dove, you know what I have to do." Finnick looked at her. For a second Dove thought she saw a few tears in his eyes.

"No. Finnick. Don't." Dove urged, culling his face in her hands.

"You know I have to." Finnick whispered.

"I know." Dove sighed. "I understand." Finnick wiped a tear from her cheek. It killed him to see her this way.

"But Dove. I need to talk to you about the Reaping." Finnick said, his expression changing to a firm one.

"If Glaïne calls your name, we'll deal with it. But if he doesn't..." Finnick began.

"If Glaïne calls Mags or Annie's name. You keep your hand down. You don't speak up. You don't volunteer, you can't." Finnick urged, pressing his hands to her face.

"Finnick, how can you ask me to do that?" Dove stared at him in disbelief.

"I can't let you. I can't lose you. I won't." Finnick said.

"What if Mags' name is called? She won't survive Finnick, how can you just expect me to keep my mouth shut?" Dove retorted.

"I can protect her in the arena. Same with Annie. I promise I can protect them-"

"No. Finnick. I can't stand on the side like that. It's wrong." Dove glared.

"Dove. This is your chance to get away. Start over. If your name isn't called, you're free of the Games." Finnick ignorantly stated.

"You're being naive and you know it." Dove interrupted. "If I'm not in the Games, Snow will just kill me off whilst all the cameras are pointed at the arena." Dove stated. Finnick knew deep down she was right, but he just couldn't listen.